World "Losing the Fight Against AIDS"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

BBC News

Could this perhaps have something to do with the nonsense coming from various sources that condoms don't work or are against the wishes of some sky fairy? :rolleyes:

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I am assuming this sneering comment is against the RC church. The article makes no mention of the role of condoms vs. abstinence (which btw abstinence is a much safer course of action to avoid HIV/AIDS), so I am not sure what conclusion you used to arrive at your insightful comment. Africa and Asia continue to be the worst afflicted regions where eduction about HIV/AIDS is short and coming and treatment is even more sparse.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We're doing quite a bit to study potential cures and stem the spread of the disease here. What was Africa and Asia doing to protect their people, again?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Might I remind you that the church was the last to help in the fight against AIDS. If I had a time machine, I'd take you back to the 80's to experience what we did. You'd understand why a lot of us can't stand the catholic church.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

You can't expect the Catholic church to compromise its values over a disease where most of victims obtained the disease through sexual promiscuity - something the church has never been an advocate of. I'm not saying you have to like it, but you certainly can't expect them to say "oh the situation is AIDS related? Ok, well then condoms are ok for people who want to have sex with multiple partners."

Indeed, many African Catholics rejected the RCs stance on protected sex.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38440-2005Apr8.html

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, that's not what I'm talking about.

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

So what are you talking about then? The HIV/AIDS crisis is the RC church's fault?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- but they sure did love to use AIDS to demonize anyone gay back then. You didn't have to be promicuous, just gay. I heard some of the most hateful things in my life come out of the mouths of many catholics as well as other religious folks. Things I'm not going to repeat here.

Things have improved since then, but many of us are still extremely distrustful of religion.

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

And I object vehemently to that demonization. Yes, I remember the 80s quite well when AIDS and the causes of its transmission were not understood and the RC Church and most evangelical fundamentalist churches were quick to point the finger. I think this more about intolerant human nature though than religion.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it is, but religion was used to justify that intolerance. I'm just trying to explain dynamic's comment, as well as my own feelings about it.

It was a scary time. We needed their help, and so many of them turned their backs. To me, that is the opposite of what religion should be doing.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

In this day and age where overpopulation is the biggest threat to world peace, it's impossible to view the RCC as anything but a medieval joke.

The church's stance on condoms is pretty much like their stance during WWII. As long as it doesn't affect the church hierarchy personally, genocide is quite acceptable.

12. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Way to insult the over 1 billion Catholics in the world who believe the church has a meaningful place in their lives.

Your second statement is simply the essence of irresponsibility.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Seems the US is more interested in strongarming African nations into signing trade agreements that are directly responsible for impoverishing Africans than it is in assisting Africans to educate its people.

Educated Africans, especially health care professionals are being encouraged by the west to emigrate, therefore created a blackhole when it comes to health care.

I could go on and on but in the end, when the west and especially the US stops treating Africa as an inferior partner and more like a valuable resource, perhaps they'll have the means to deal with the issue on their own terms.

There are bright spots in the fight against AIDS in Africa, Botswana is a case in point but outside interference and the imposition of western "values" oftentimes makes the problem worse.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

In four southern African countries, the national adult HIV prevalence rate has risen higher than was thought possible and now exceeds 20%. These countries are Botswana (24.1%), Lesotho (23.2%), Swaziland (33.4%) and Zimbabwe (20.1%).

At the current rate, projections show that an entire nation (Swaziland) will be wiped out by 2040.

Though I serve on an HiV/AIDS commission for Latin America & Caribbean where Haiti and several other Central American countries are high with adult HIV rates, we network with African personnel. The projections are heart breaking.

Throwing prophylactics at the people is artificial and superficial without adequate education being given at all levels. Education which not only provides information with regard to sexual activity and personal hygiene, but which will also help to dispel myths. It's a prevalent superstition, among several highly infected areas/countries, that a cure for the HIV/AIDS virus occurs when a male has sex with a virgin.

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Simply astounding, xsedrinam. How long have you been working with this topic issue?

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Ugg, normally your posts are filled with intelligent and well thought out points but this comment is just bad. It is possible to view the Roman Catholic Church as something other than a medieval joke. There are millions of people who fill catholic churches every week. Not eveyone believes their religion should be updated to "fit" modern times.

I am not a catholic, but stating that they are a joke is being rather rude and disrespectful.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If the RCC thinks that by banning contraception, they're fulfilling some mandate of their god, then they're sorely mistaken.Jesus seems to have put much more emphasis on the alleviation of misery than creating a bunch of socially restrictive rules.

It's interesting to note that the most catholic nations in Europe, Italy and Poland both have the lowest birthrates. I can hardly imagine that that has been attained through "natural" methods, so there must be a lot of catholics who are doomed to hell.

Answer me this. Why does the RCC persist when it's pointless?

Irresponsibility is when the RCC allows millions of people to die by maintaining immoral policies.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

And you would know this how?

Higher standards of industrial living can account for this. When the vast majority of the population work all day there is a direct correlation to a lower birthrate.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Let me rephrase that then. In this day and age where overpopulation is the greatest threat to world peace the Vatican's stance on birth control is absolutely medieval. Since it's so out of touch with the vast majority of Catholics, as is proved by the low birthrates in predominantly catholic countries, I find it absolutely mind boggling that the Vatican would continue to persist with a policy that few catholics practice.

My apologies if my first post insinuated that all catholics are medieval. That was not my intention, only to point out the medieval policies of those in the ivory battlements of the Vatican.

20. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Of course, the Catholic Church does not believe that people are going to hell for using condoms. They simply do not believe in birth control and promote abstinence instead of promiscuity. It is by no means pointless to promote a morale value you believe in even if society in general does not feel the same way.

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

This is getting somewhere. Sorry, Ugg, my wife and daughter (by virtue of her baptism are Catholic) and I'd use many words to describe them, but not "medieval". I won't argue that overpopulation is a problem, but unless you want to go the route of Big Brother in Beijing...I think procreation is something of a fundamental right.

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Catholicism is not a democracy. Policies are not set by popular vote. Catholicism is based on the Word of God not on the practices of the majority of practitioners.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Figured it wouldn't take long for someone to blame the US for the behaviors of a populace on the other side of the world. It's also our fault that everyone smart leaves a country too. I guess we just can't win.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- once again, you think you're an island and that nothing we do here affects anyone anywhere else.

Are you Bill O'Reilly? Come on. Come clean Bill. ;)

25. iGav macrumors G3

The effectiveness of which is often obliterated, when those same myths are being actively instilled into the populace by the men of the cloth, doing the work of god.

It's a prevalent superstition (actively fuelled by the church) among several highly infected areas/countries, that condoms are laced with the HIV virus.