World of Warcraft, Life After Lion Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by theinstructor, Jul 22, 2011.

1. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

WoW is an immensely popular game of course and after Lion, I encountered a strange situation. Powered on my iMac and once all of the background services were running, I proceeded to play WoW except it was extremely sluggish. I fired it up on my Snow Leopard Mac and it ran fine. I rebooted again and WoW now ran just fine on Lion. I have the high end video card with 256MB RAM and never have performance issues. I checked the CPU/Memory/Disk Utilization performance monitors and they were all nominal while the game just stuttered along.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior?

2. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I'm just gonna take a guess and say that's it's just a bug within Lion. So maybe it's just that something was hogging the video memory or something. Since the reboot worked as you said, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure this is something Apple can/will fix soon.

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

I haven't had this problem, but by chance are you running Safari in the background? I've still noticed Safari can be a memory hog.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

My guess is your hard drive was still Indexing from the install of Lion (takes about 3-6 hours depending on the amount of data you have) which can slow down the performance of your Mac until it's done.

5. theinstructor thread starter macrumors regular

theinstructor

I had nothing open before or after the reboot except WoW itself. It felt like something going on with the video processing but since that was about the only thing I could not measure performance-wise, I figured it seemed like a decent suspect. I will let you guys know if I see issues with any other graphics intensive games. Enjoy!

6. xizar macrumors regular

I have a Bootcamp drive that Spotlight insisted on re-indexing after the upgrade to Lion. You may want to check to see if its poking its nose around.

I actually have had to have stern words with Spotlight several times, as it likes my Bootcamp drive more than I'd like. I think they're having an affair.