World of Warcraft, Life After Lion Upgrade

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
WoW is an immensely popular game of course and after Lion, I encountered a strange situation. Powered on my iMac and once all of the background services were running, I proceeded to play WoW except it was extremely sluggish. I fired it up on my Snow Leopard Mac and it ran fine. I rebooted again and WoW now ran just fine on Lion. I have the high end video card with 256MB RAM and never have performance issues. I checked the CPU/Memory/Disk Utilization performance monitors and they were all nominal while the game just stuttered along.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior?

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
I'm just gonna take a guess and say that's it's just a bug within Lion. So maybe it's just that something was hogging the video memory or something. Since the reboot worked as you said, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure this is something Apple can/will fix soon.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I haven't had this problem, but by chance are you running Safari in the background? I've still noticed Safari can be a memory hog.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
My guess is your hard drive was still Indexing from the install of Lion (takes about 3-6 hours depending on the amount of data you have) which can slow down the performance of your Mac until it's done.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I had nothing open before or after the reboot except WoW itself. It felt like something going on with the video processing but since that was about the only thing I could not measure performance-wise, I figured it seemed like a decent suspect. I will let you guys know if I see issues with any other graphics intensive games. Enjoy!

xizar

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
I have a Bootcamp drive that Spotlight insisted on re-indexing after the upgrade to Lion. You may want to check to see if its poking its nose around.

I actually have had to have stern words with Spotlight several times, as it likes my Bootcamp drive more than I'd like. I think they're having an affair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.