World of Warcraft performance better on my iMac vs Mac Pro w/4890??!?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by zepharus, Jul 22, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ok folks im going to need some help here because something is very wrong.

Im doing a test on a 24" iMac 2.8 8800 GTS Vs my new Mac Pro 09 2.66 Quad (with affinity set to use ALL CORES) with a 4890 (at 1000/1100) in OS X playing World of Warcraft. The wow config detect all usable cores on each machine.

Let me stress that this is the EXACT SAME OS X as it was mirated to the MP from the iMac.

All settings identical .. the iMac get 5-10 FPS BETTER than the Mac Pro using a bios overclocked 4890. Something is seriously wrong here. I need help trouble shooting this as it is really frustrating me to no end.

I have covered any senario that I can think of including GLFaster @ 2 on both machines... Thanks in advance here..

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

First, the iMac has a legit graphics card and not overclocked. Your Mac Pro has a flashed graphics card and overclocked. When overclocking, you make certain things faster and certain things to slower to get the overall faster speed.

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

This is completely inaccurate and makes no sense. Ive been doing this for years on the PC side and never encountered this issue. Im looking for constructive help here

4. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Did you use the exact same screen resolution on both machines? Also keep in mind that the 4890 is not officially supported and Apple only recently went back to using ATI graphic cards. The iMac is using nVidia and Apple had lots of time to mature the drivers for nVidia cards, while ATI drivers may still be lacking...

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Make sure when testing that all settings and resolution is the same and also a lot of places the fps will vary drastically on the same computer depending on characters in the area, ect.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to say it's a driver maturity issue. The 4890 is a killer card for the price.

7. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

What % CPU is WoW using on each machine? Memory usage on each? I might suggest a clean install of OSX on the Mac Pro since you said it was migrated, do you mean you just copied it?

8. iMouse macrumors regular

Shadows

You sure shadows are set to the same level on both systems? WoW attempts to auto-adjust on initial launch when it detects a hardware change.

Brought a GeForce GTX 275 to it's knees just because WoW decided to auto-adjust settings for the new card.

Screen resolution differences, poor driver development, there are lots of reasons why this could happen.

9. Dbastias macrumors newbie

I used to play in The Burning Crusade 2.4.3 private servers, but when I upgraded to WOTLK 3.1.3 I couldn't log in anymore, is like the game doesn't recognize the realmlist.wtf with the info of the server!!! I don't know what to do.

Please! Does anyone here plays WoW in a private server ? I need help!!

Thanks!!!

10. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

The Mac Pro doesn't support the 4890, that's why there is difference since the Mac Pro is like "WTF is this card doing? Idk what the he'll this card is!" and iMac knows what the 8800 is and knows how to use it properly. Only use gpus that Apple supports otherwise be prepared for a preformamce hit.