World's first fully-autonomous (no human driver, no remote ...

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Would you want to run an automated car on Windows XP?
I can just picture the car driving around in heavy traffic with the driver reading or sleeping when all of a sudden the OS locks up and shuts down!

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I want this thing driving my car. Probably would be secure and a better driver than me...

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Steve's gonna be pissed when he sees this. Apple's been secretly developing the CarPod for years now.

"First there was integration into the glove box of your BMW, and now your iPod can drive it for you. Introducing CarPod. The next big thing, from Apple."

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Are you all sure this is the world's first fully automated car, or the world's first fully automated car that runs OSX?

Seems to me, these DARPA challenges have been going on for like 5 years now. The idea is to get a car to drive across random Arizonian terrain.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
mainstreetmark said:
Are you all sure this is the world's first fully automated car, or the world's first fully automated car that runs OSX?

Seems to me, these DARPA challenges have been going on for like 5 years now. The idea is to get a car to drive across random Arizonian terrain.
it's just the first that runs OSX.
there are dozens entry in this year's darpa alone, so i would imagine that most are windows-based. nothing to get excited about, unless they outperform everybody in the challenge.
even then, i imagine that the 'contribution' of the OS is likely minimal.
that said, i'll bee rooting for them :)

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
mainstreetmark said:

actually i believe this is only the second year for Darpa

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This is cool - but after the fiasco of the 1st race last year, I'm going to be surprised if they have better results. No one finished and only a few got anywhere to begin with.

It will definitely be quite cool if a vehicle finishes, though.

D

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
adamfilip said:
actually i believe this is only the second year for Darpa
That may be.

Perhaps I just heard about it coming up, since i bet DARPA gave people a few years notice before the first one. I used to work at Boeing on DARPA stuff, and recalled how, at the time, I thought it'd be so cool to work on an automated car out west, than resource management of the JSF.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wish Team Banzai all the best. Hoping for a successful conclusion. Go Mac OS X and the Mac mini. This moves of closer to some day in the future having cars that operate themselves. :cool:

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Lima, Peru
Mr. Anderson said:
This is cool - but after the fiasco of the 1st race last year, I'm going to be surprised if they have better results. No one finished and only a few got anywhere to begin with.

It will definitely be quite cool if a vehicle finishes, though.

D

So, when does this race start and end?

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Lima, Peru
greenmonsterman said:
Steve's gonna be pissed when he sees this. Apple's been secretly developing the CarPod for years now.

"First there was integration into the glove box of your BMW, and now your iPod can drive it for you. Introducing CarPod. The next big thing, from Apple."
WOW... hope they start shipping nex tuesday!!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
fox2005 said:
So, when does this race start and end?

On October 8, 2005, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) will conduct the second Grand Challenge for autonomous robotic ground vehicles. Approximately 20 robots will navigate a course of more than 140 miles over rugged desert terrain in the southwest United States. The team whose vehicle completes the course the fastest—in less than 10 hours—will receive a check for $2 million.
http://www.darpa.gov/grandchallenge/index.html

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wdlove said:
I wish Team Banzai all the best. Hoping for a successful conclusion. Go Mac OS X and the Mac mini. This moves of closer to some day in the future having cars that operate themselves. :cool:
So instead of decades its just decades minus a few months :D

I don't imagine we'll be driving down the road in cars piloted by computers any time soon. As was shown by the 1st Grand Challenge, there is so much more work to be done.

There has been some development in autonomous road systems, but they haven't caught on just yet. And remember, you have to have a pretty damn powerful computer in you car. Most people couldn't afford that anyway.

D

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Nice, but huh??

This is very cool. I hope them the best and the winning place.
But a few things I don't get: how is OSX capable of driving a car? What program are they using? Why need Aqua? Why not just use Darwin?

llama :confused:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Flying Llama said:
This is very cool. I hope them the best and the winning place.
But a few things I don't get: how is OSX capable of driving a car? What program are they using? Why need Aqua? Why not just use Darwin?

llama :confused:

The OS isn't. The propriatary software its running is and OS X has little to do with it unless they are programming it in X's API which would seem the only reason to use OS X instead of just Darwin. *shrugs* or maybe not. Just a guess.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Mr. Anderson said:

I don't imagine we'll be driving down the road in cars piloted by computers any time soon. As was shown by the 1st Grand Challenge, there is so much more work to be done.

Keep in mind that DARPA's terrain is not your ordinary run of the mill highway. They are doing offroad, up inclines, crossing dry riverbanks, etc. Stuff that is going to be used by the military. Hence the reason its DARPA.

Running along a highway is MUCH simpler. Esp if you embed senors in the pavement or have cameras reading the lines on the road. All this is doable NOW. (Stopping is another matter from what I've read.) Its just a matter of cost both for the tax payer (Equipping the roads.) and the car manufacturers. (Equipping the cars.) that and simply working the bugs out of the system before it hits mass production. Chicken and the egg type thing when it comes to that though.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
wdlove said:
there you go. it shows that the mac mini is powerful. and this ceo said the ppc is not good enough. it was deemed so bad, that using intel chips would do the job... ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
SiliconAddict said:
Running along a highway is MUCH simpler. Esp if you embed senors in the pavement or have cameras reading the lines on the road. All this is doable NOW. (Stopping is another matter from what I've read.) Its just a matter of cost both for the tax payer (Equipping the roads.) and the car manufacturers. (Equipping the cars.) that and simply working the bugs out of the system before it hits mass production. Chicken and the egg type thing when it comes to that though.
I think the major obstacle is dealing with human-driven cars. If all cars would suddenly become automated, highway driving would be, as you said, cake. It's dealing with the emergency situations thatss tough - not so much someone stopped ahead of you as someone, say, veering across traffic. Sort of like piloting aircraft - in optimal conditions, it could all be automated now.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
There has been some development in autonomous road systems, but they haven't caught on just yet. And remember, you have to have a pretty damn powerful computer in you car. Most people couldn't afford that anyway.
I, for one, welcome our new automated-car overlords.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:

D
I don't really expect this to happen in my lifetime. Do think that this technology is inevitable in the future. By the time that it becomes reality the price will also become affordable.