Worlds oceans warming faster than previously thought, accelerated climated change.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 31, 2018.

1. PracticalMac, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So yesterday I posted about how climate changes effect food supply, and now a new report strongly suggests the warming may be happening faster than previously estimated.
    Another report on matter can be read here.

The effects of damage to food supplies have been positively recorded in changes in fishing results, from squid no longer found at traditional fishing locations, to Maine lobsters suffering a crippling shell disease, reducing the population (builds on a 2016 report).

When you factor in the vast quantities of plastic in the worlds oceans, now the size of country of Mexico (or Alaska) ("To increase their ability to identify plastic pieces, researchers used 30 vessels and two aircraft including a C-130 Hercules fitted with advanced sensors that produced 3D scans of the GPGP. They found that it now stretches 1.6 million square kilometers and, they warn, it's growing"),
    with large quantities found in heavily industrialized rivers.

In a few years food from ocean may be unsafe to eat.

===========================
    EDIT ADDITION Nov 1.
    Link to 5 cheap ways to reduce CO2, BBC.

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah it's past time to recognize these problems as officially having the naturally high priority they're busy establishing for themselves already. Our choice is gawk at the data and die sooner along with the rest of the species we've been helping kill off at a good clip already, or else start working to mitigate or reverse the most lethal of the effects of our industrialized presence.

Leaving aside climate change issues for a minute but focusing on the fact that warmer temperature will drive animals to leave traditional feeding areas and migrate in search of food but now may find great quantities of microplastics: what we need is something that likes to eat plastic soaking in sea water, and will quietly turn it into a nice familiar mix of nitrogen, oxygen and a dash each of argon, CO2, 5% water vapor.. i.e. air that we all like to breathe, as a breeze over a cleaned up ocean.

If we were smart enough to invent plastics we should be smart enough to invent its ultimate predator.. and a big leash we can attach to a repurposed offshore oil rig out in the center of oceanic areas where trash plastics gather.

After all, we don't want our custom predator coming ashore and trying to eat up any plastics we haven't decided to throw out yet.

(But what to do, what to do, when the monster has eaten all the microplastics and does look around for what's next on its menu? There's always that wonderment about a cure being worse than the disease).

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Global Warming is going to kick our asses. There is no escape.

4. kobalap macrumors 6502

Fake news. It’s a hoax perpetrated by China.

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Look at the upside, PETA will be ecstatic! ;)

6. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

Yeah, and Al Gore predicted that NYC will be under water by 2016.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Source?:rolleyes:

8. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

But i believed the report from a few weeks ago which had scientific consensus and settled science. it wasnt nearly this bad.

What should i believe? The one with the worst predictions seem to be logical.

I just hope i’ll have enough time to make my “world is going to end” picket sign.

;):D

9. jerwin macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Really? Well known quote from Gore. That one and the one where he said the poles would be melted and snow gone from Kilimanjaro by 2016 (hit both still have snow and NYC is not underwater.)

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Go ahead and source the quote as the forum rules require.

I don’t follow Gore, so I’d like some proof of these assertions.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

No no no, I want the people making these claims to post their stories from the likes of brietbart and the federalist so they can just plainly demonstrate that propaganda partially works by people WANTING to believe it.

We’re still waiting for those sources guys.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018...deforestation-accelerates-climate-change.html

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

And ever since global warming became a scientific thing, the Right has been screaming FAKE NEWS!!! Because it was a Liberal conspiracy (you know blame the evil Left) that would hurt their profits. You’ve heard the term Great Filter in these forums before? You never know, this could be part of it, an unmet challenge that prevents us as a species of succeeding long term.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Looks like our friends decided not to come back to share their right wing meme and propaganda sources. Funny, that.

One thing is crystal clear, because of how bought our political system is, if humanity is going to rise to the challenge of climate change it’s going to be *in spite* of the USA, not under our “leadership”.

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Ok, but you will have to watch it.

https://www.amazon.com/Inconvenient-Truth-Al-Gore/dp/B000ICL3KG
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2018 ---
    Guess again. Some of us have outside lives and can't sit on this forum 24/7.
    It may and we may not be ready.

But I think the reason we may not be ready can be squarely blamed on the CG advocates. The reason the population at large doesn't take it seriously is because too many of the "leaders" made outlandish claims as to ice melt and ocean rise within 10 years. Those 10 years and some are gone and it didn't happen.

They tried to scare us and it backfired. Now we don't pay attention.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

...you linked to his movie. Great job on the disingenuousness.

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

There is a real issue when politics clouds and manipulates the truth, because the truth is just too inconvienent, like they’ll still be able to ignore it when knee deep in water, or the Earth becomes a cinder. We’ll deserve what we get. Our Grandkids will be stuck with what they inherited. Good luck! :oops:

Losing Earth: The Decade We Almost Stopped Climate Change.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html

19. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Good. The last thing the universe needs is the human virus spreading off this planet, so it's doing what it can to wipe us off.

20. Herdfan, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

Herdfan macrumors 6502

That is where he said it so I'm not sure what you want at this point. :confused:

Here is a synopsis from what I hope is a non-partisan source:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/e...ionists/inconvenient-truth-sequel-al-gore.htm

I really don't understand how you can think you know anything about climate change and yet have no idea about Gore's claims. He is the poster boy for climate scare tactics.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

When you were in school writing a paper did your teacher ever accept the name of the book as a source, or did you actually have to provide specifics? Like the page number?

Why you would post a link to his movie instead of specifics is beyond me. It’s not a show of good faith.

Gore is a messenger, not a scientist. I don’t care what he says, instead I prefer to go to primary sources where you can actually see the data/claims. I hate everything about celebrity culture so why the hell should I look to him of all people to provide me with information when I could look at actual reports and journals?

22. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Well since it would be illegal to post clips of his movie here without permission, I have nothing.

And while I agree Gore is not a scientist, he is a former VP of the USA and is a fairly influential person. So average Americans do listen to what he says. And as I have stated here and in the past, his wild claims hurt your cause.

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Bill Nye is a public figure but I’ll still take the actual scientific journals over his word.

My cause is simply paying attention to fact rather than using a celebrity to deflect from it.

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

$$$$ more important than LIFE!!

The effects of local pollution have been known for CENTURIES.
    It is a small step to realize the combined effects of thousands of local effects add up to global effect.