"Worn battery" = paid exchange under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yomama126, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Yomama126 macrumors newbie

Brought in my IPhone 5 for a warranty exchange due to the rear facing camera sticking. Easy experience, great service. The only interesting thing that came up was as my old phone was hooked up for diagnostics the young lady showed me a colored square chart and explained to me that my battery was in the "worn" zone which was indicative of overcharging on my part. She said to only charge the phone at 10 or 5 percent battery power to prevent it from happening again, because any warranty exchange would become a paid exchange if it the "worn battery" was detected. I have had significant battery issues since the last update, and restored several times in hopes of addressing the problem. Didn't help, and I have been charging more due to that.
    I did share that info with the young lady at the the Genius Bar. She didn't really comment and the exchange went off without any problems. I left satisfied and forewarned about overcharging. With six kids with iPhones and iEverthing else I've done a few exchanges over the years and never run into this new way of assessing batteries.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has encountered this "worn battery" scenario at an Apple store, and if so what was the outcome?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If it's under a year then worn battery or not you'll get an exchange. You should drain the battery fully every 4 weeks or so if your doing top up charges tho.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    If its still under AppleCare warranty then they have to replace the battery free of charge.
    They cant blame the customer for overcharging or whatever BS she told you.

4. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

That is BS. Overcharging. I believe you can't do that anyway. It stops at 100%.
    Regardless of the battery state within its warranty period it should be exchanged. Doing a 0 to 100% cycle once a month is what apple recommend to keep it healthy. Top up charges do no harm.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Who doesn't charge their phone overnight? Nearly everyone, I would be willing to bet, throws their phone on the charger before bed, and then pulls it off when waking up. Overcharge? Nothing with current technology should be accepting an overcharge. This should be the cases dating back half a decade, maybe more.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

That's complete nonsense. Charge it when you please, nothing less. The charging circuit takes care of all that.

7. kissnoob macrumors member

That is BS. That lady is clueless. If battery got worn out during 1 year warranty, you got a lemon. Apple will replace it for you(they may replace the battery or swap out a new phone. It depends on their new policy)

There is no way that keep charging or topping-up the battery will wear it out. iPhone has the circuitry to control it. I daily charge the phone ranging from 10% - 60% and the battery never got worn out.