Worried about color of your phone? What else?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applesith, Sep 12, 2013.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

New iPhone colors bring threads such as "does color X make me look girly?"

For those who care so much about how others perceive you based on the color of your phone: Do you care as much (and seek advise) on other aesthetics? Clothes, shoes, coordinating colors, hair style, sunglasses, jewelry, car color, etc.?

I'm curious if it's something just about phone or falls in line with something larger about you.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As I see it, as the years go by younger generations are nearly incapable of making even the smallest decisions. They'll go far in life as long as someone is telling them what to do.

3. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I think there is a big relationship between image and bullying. The teasing a guy would get from carrying a pink phone is bullying. And your image does tell others what kind of person you are. So yes, I do worry about the clothes I wear and get my wife's input. Though ultimately I am the one who picks things out and wears them.

I do not think it's foolish to feel out the kind of reactions you should expect from something that is a part of your image.

4. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Ah, I didn't think of kids asking about it and being worried about bullies. That's a legit concern.

I never meant to imply it's foolish to ask for advise. Just wondering if people care more about how they are perceived on their devices than other factors. You never know!

5. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Pink, sure, understandable and obvious concern in American culture.

But with past phones most questions have been over black vs. white. Neutral hues. Which is completely asinine.

6. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Yes!!! Just look at the forum right now!

"Should I buy this phone?"
    "Is this phone worth it? "
    "Are you buying this phone?"
    "Should I get the more expensive chicken or cheaper?"
    "Should I pee standing or sitting?"

I really really hope the people asking these questions are under the age of 16. If you are over 16 and asking these questions, boy you have a long complicated life ahead of you and a single one! No woman wants to be with someone who can't make a simple decision and feel good about it.

I'm sure all the people on this forum are nice people and I'm not trying to be a douche, but really people, man up! Be comfortable with your decisions and ignore other people and you will be a better person :)

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It has nothing to do with the product or selection of colors and everything to do with the person asking the question. Look at old threads. They were asking this back when the choices were just black & white.

People make such comments about all sorts of products if you bother to look around on discussion forum sites.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're a new forum buddy of mine for sure. :D

FWIW, I don't mind being a douche but I do mind that it seems impossible for some people to make a simple, meaningless decision in life.

To be honest, I contemplate whether I want to get out of bed to go pee in the middle of the night or hold it until morning far more than I ever would the color of an iPhone that I'll likely get rid of in less than 2 years.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

People say white iPhones are girly.

10. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

...that was my point...

11. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes, people still ask for just black and white. You'd see that if you bothered to look at other threads of someone asking if white makes a dudes look girly.

As I asked in my original topic, do people who are concerned about their phone's color also have similar concerns for other stuff they seek advice on? It just seems there are other aesthetics to worry about instead of a phone color.

12. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

I care about the length of my nose hairs. People think I'm stuck up because I constantly walk around with my nose pointed upwards. But I'm really just constantly asking people if I have any nose hairs sticking out.

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I don't see why we have to assign genders to colors.

Back in the 1920s and 1930s, Pink was masculine and Blue was feminine. If you're a guy and you think that a bright red iPhone looks nice, then you buy it. It doesn't mean you're not male, or that you're feminine, or that you're gay, it means you like the color. If you're a girl and you like a big bulky brown camo cases, it doesn't mean you're masculine, or not a girl, or a lesbian, it means that case is appealing to you.

I bought a white iPhone 5 because I think it's much more attractive and nicer looking than the black one. I did the same with the iPhone 4S. I thought the white 3GS looked nicer than the black 3GS too. I think white phones are much more visually appealing than black phones. Does this make me less masculine? No, it doesn't at all.

If you are worried of being harrassed because of the color phone you buy, then we really to work on helping you overcome your intense insecurity.

14. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Lol! Nice post. I agree completely. I put more thought into "did I wipe my ass enough or do I need to go for one more round " than the amount of thoughts I've put into which color iPhone I'm getting.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you ask them about the 64 bit thing, their heads will explode.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Me too. So, should I hold it in or get up and pee?

Fixed that for you.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll hold it for you.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I have a white iPhone 4. I bought it right when it came out, when the 4's came to Verizon. Figured it'd be nice having one a little different than the usual black ones.

A few months pass the white iPhones sold en masse, and during that time, it became considered the "girly option", the color of choice for soccer moms and ladies of the night. I suddenly found myself going from being the owner of a white iPhone to the owner of an apparently girly colored phone. And you know what?

I couldn't give even a quarter of a damn. I bought it before it became a girly phone, and I'm not feeling self conscious now that it suddenly is. Why care?

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Good post!

It is all about confidence in my view. If you are confident in yourself, then you should not care. As I became older I learned to care less about what people think.

I make choices that please me, not everyone else. Mind you though, I do know how to dress and carry myself appropriately.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Black is one of my signature colors, and up to this point all both of my iPhones have been black - but I think my next one is gonna be gold.

I may be the only one who likes the gold, and if that's the case, flame away - but I like it, and that's all I really care about.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Pretty sure that any man who is worried about the color of his phone, is probably really worried about the size of his.....

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yes. I'm worried about the size of my phone's display. Er...you are referring to screen size right? I find 4" too small for web browsing.

Oh...well then, my boy ain't worried about his size then. Last October, my boy was at a friend's birthday party (his friend, not mine) and the clown asked what color balloon he wanted for his balloon animal. "Pink," he said "Pink? That's a girl's color," the clown teased.

My 5 year old looked him straight in the eyes and said, "There is no girl's color or boy's color. I want pink because mommy told me it's the color for Breast Cancer awareness." Way to earn daddy lots of brownie points, although the Missus deserves all the credit.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That clown should never work again. And your kid is great!

24. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

It all really comes down to self image. Everyone capable of self awareness has a self image or a way that they picture themselves. How we project that image is really just us being that self image. Some people view this in more of a materialistic manner with the types of shoes they wear, brands they purchase, color choices, etc. For others it could be train of thought, job roles, or fitness.

I'm massively summing things up of course, but it really is a neat way of thinking about things.

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I like Orange. That is why I chose an orange phone. If somebody doesn't like it, they can kindly go boil their heads for all I care.