Worried about data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SuperMiguel, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

So me an my girlfriend both have iphones 4s, we have the mobile share plan 4gb... We are usually at the 3gb mark =/- but never get to 4gb...

So i see alot of post of people stating that within 4 days they hit 5gb of data usage...

Is this a bug? or are this real numbers?

2. black743 macrumors 6502

Actually it's both.

First, the usage counters in iOS6 are way off on some people. A few have reported showing gigs of data, while their carrier only shows a few hundred mb.

Others have reported the opposite, with their carrier showing large amounts of data. It seems to be with things like iCloud backup, iTunes match, and in some cases, podcast streaming.

I am trying hard to convince everyone to call Apple if they are having these problems. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and I was the first call they had on it.

3. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

So but during the setup doing you get connected to wifi? and then you do the restores?

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I went through 107 MB in 4 days, while my regular usage is under 100 a month - it''s used only for email while in transit.

I have Cellular usage turned off for everything, I suspect the Maps app. I only used it a couple of times, but didn't explicitly shut it down.

5. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Nope not worried, am on a unlimited data plan with AT&T. used 569.55 of data since Friday.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

can somebody bump all those threads of all those proud people that ditched their unlimited plans with at&t just so they can use facetime and tethering? I want to know how their data usages haven't jumped at all with LTE and all the facetime calls they're making.

7. Dreshyne2g macrumors newbie

My wife has used 2gb in 4 days according to my Verizon. Verizon is going to make a killing on overage charges. Good thing we have unlimited data.

8. black743 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to beat this dead horse....but everyone having data issues needs to call Apple.

There are varying things happening that shouldn't.

First, the usage counters are way off.

Second, people are racking up large chunks of cellular data while on wifi.

Third, it appears that iCloud backups and iTunes Match keep rolling even when you leave wifi, thus running up data.

Very big bug here that's costing some folks real money. The carriers can't fix and don't really care. Only Apple can fix and they won't unless they can see its a real problem...which means getting lots of calls about it.

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I gave up unlimited for the 4gb share plan and pocketed a few extra bucks each month. It looks like, based on the first 5 days of me doing silly stuff I would normally not do, that our usage is going to up from 800mb-1gb/month to maybe 1.25-1.5gb/month. I'll give it a couple of months, but I might need to drop down to the 2gb plan and pocket even more money.:D

10. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

Dam, so how do i get unlimited data on ATT at a reasonable price? I only been with them for like 8 months

i pay $150 for 4gb :(

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I dumped unlimited. Not for other features, but for a lower bill as I switched to mobile share.

I used about 250 meg in the first 2 weeks of this cycle. Since then, my iPhone 5 says I have used another 700 meg, but AT&T says I've used 700 total this month. I have been playing a lot with speed tests and stuff like that, but otherwise my data usage seems normal. We now have about 10 days left in our cycle and have 8.7 gig to go (out of 10) for our 6 phones. I think we will be ok. ;) I have looked at dropping down to a lower plan, but with my service discount and the tiered pricing for phones from AT&T, they all come out to the same price I'm paying now for 10 gig. :)

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

You do not pay $150 for 4GB of data. You pay $70 for 4GB shared data. You pay $40 per smartphone (x 2) for unlimited talk (which most people don't need) and unlimited text (again which most people don't need).

ATT got rid of unlimited data in June of 2010. There was a loophole you could have used for the next 18 months after that June 2010 data but ATT closed that loophole.

Verizon ended unlimited data in June/July 2011 as well. There was a loophole to get unlimited data also after that date but Verizon closed that loophole in March 2012.

13. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

what are you guys doing that these kids out here cant seem to grasp a hold of on data management with a new toy?

14. atticus570 macrumors regular

I've used a gig since launch day and I don't think I ever went over a gig a month when I was on AT&T unlimited I switched to Verizon with 6Gb data plan I'm a little worried that when I get my first full. Cycle

15. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

It all comes down to streaming audio or video. All the people on my plan are just email and Facebook users. That literally uses no data. If you start streaming Netflix, Youtube, iTunes in the cloud, etc, you are going to rifle through data. I'm a little nervous about when my mom tethers her laptop while they are travelling and can't find wifi. Even if I tell her to just use it for those things, what if Windows decides to download some updates? Ouchy...

16. kingsrule5 macrumors member

Streamed a 2 minute youtube clip, cellular data for itunes match is off, no netflix, no facetime and just basic browser and light app usage (nothing streaming) and still allegidly used 800mb in less then 13 hours as reported by AT&T.

So please tell me how that is rifling through data and not a glitch

17. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I never said there wasn't a glitch. They asked me about data management and that is my opinion of what uses data. I don't doubt what anyone here says about strange data usage things.

Are you backing up to the cloud? Got to be a leak somewhere...

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Remember, in iOS 6, if your iphone thinks that your wifi isn't passing internet or having difficulties it uses your cellular data plan instead. So "just because you are on wifi" doesn't mean your phone is using wifi....

That might be the bug there. In my case, my phone says I've used almost 1GB since Friday but verizon shows I have only used about 300mb as of yesterday. The data usages are definitely off, but I'm not going to worry about it. I usually check mine a couple times a month on Verizon's website and use that as my basis.

19. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont need it but it is cheaper this way than having 500 min, ultimited text, and 3 gb each.

20. bryann9182 macrumors regular

I got stuck on a 2GB plan since I lost unlimited by upgrading, but I'm not concerned about it tbh.

Wifi when at home, and don't stream or use data constantly over LTE and you'll honestly be fine. I've never even come close to using 2GB a month

21. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

Be careful some people are claiming that their data is being used while in wifi

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Had to laugh a bit with this comment. Pretty much impossible to know if you were the first that called. I believe that the person you talked to said this. They probably fell into one of these buckets.

1 - could have been the first time THIS person heard it

2 - could be they just wanted to move along with the call and said it to get rid of you - people do this

Bottom line, with thousands and thousands of reps located at differrent places around the company, it would be hard to figure out the first person that reported anything

23. black743 macrumors 6502

All I know is that I was put on hold as the rep talked to some tech supervisors. They searched their system and found no mention of this. To that extent, I was the first they or their system had heard.