Worried about OCZ Vertex 2 in Mid 2010 MPB. OWC a better bet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHalo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

2. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Interesting issue. I can safely say that the ADATA/Micro Center SSDs with SandForce controllers don't have any issues. At least not the ones I have tried. :) But go with whatever makes you comfortable. Pretty much any SandForce SSD should suffice.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea both should be fine... Personally I have owc and it's working great!

4. iHalo thread starter macrumors regular

Is your OWC in a MPB 2010 13 inch? :)

5. coollai macrumors newbie

I am using a OCZ Vertex 2 in a 15" mid 2010 MBP and it works great.

6. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

There's a documented issue with the OCZ Vertex 2 and the current iteration of the 13" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo. If you poke around a little more, you'll find threads in several venue about this.

If you are definitely shopping for the current 13" Macbook Pro, I would go for the OWC SSD even though it is more expensive.

I am using a Vertex 2 with great success, but I am in a 15" MacBook Pro.

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I researched HEAVILY for 3 weeks straight on this matter. The OWC and OCZ are BOTH using sandforce... but something seems to be up with the OCZ with the wonderful macbook pros. The issues with it are rampant around their forums.

I coughed up a little extra money (ended up being about $40 extra on black Friday) and went with an OWC. It arrives tomorrow.

If I were you, I'd get the OWC... they are def. centered around Mac's. I haev spoken DIRECTLY to a OCZ representative and was told some sad news :( He told me that he had NO idea when OCZ would be supporting mac (if ever) with their firmware updates. That didn't sit well with me, so I went OWC.

That being said, remember SSD is NEW NEW NEW technology, and no matter what you go with there could be some issues. Just seemed in my eyes that OWC had less issues than OCZ, GSkill, and Kingston... all of which I was looking at.

Not to mention the OWC seems to be the best after time... the OCZ is PLAGUED with degradation after time.... you may get 285mb/s speeds at first, but MANY benchmarks show it dropping to ~100mb/s after time.... where the OWC seems to hold strong over time (Well the little time these things have been on the market).

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

wat

i started a thread a while back about degradation on an Vertex 2 vs an OWC comparable model and everyone said they wear down the same way... what gives?

9. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld.html

That's a good review I read.... one of the many.

I mean being honest, I'm not sure you can go wrong with OCZ or OWC... I only chose OWC due to my talk with the OCZ rep and him declaring they do not support osx with firmware updates and had no idea when they would, if ever.

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

ALL SSDs wear down after a while. Just the way it is. Buy one, enjoy it....and when it wears down, time to buy a new Mac :D Honestly, though, my understanding is that they wear down after 5-10 years. Most people will have a new computer by then anyway.

11. CW Jones macrumors 6502

All SSD drives are not created equal....

I just put the 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 in my mid-2009 15" MBP and I love it!!! It is AMAZING!!!!

12. toxic macrumors 68000

that site is sponsored by OWC.

I suggest you stop worrying about SSD wear. they will last as long as an HDD (~10 years), and performance degradation is hardly worth worrying about when considering SF-based drives.

13. therealdeal macrumors member

therealdeal

14. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

No problem here on 1.22 (I believe). Whatever the last before current is.

15. barmann macrumors 6502

That's actually a very one-sided review when it comes to Macs, none of the OWC's contenders are using Sandforce controllers.

All other reviews of Sandforce based drives are drawing a different picture .

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree the review should be scrutinized since it looks like OWC is a site sponsor there, but I don't think it invalidates the test results. Without TRIM or some kind of wear leveling (like Sandforce provides) there will be a slowdown over time. That has been commented on even in these forums with real SSD users.

I think the takeaway from the article is at this point for the Mac you want a Sandforce controlled drive. Whether it is OWC or not is certainly up for debate.

17. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Mine comes in today, i'll let you know how it goes.

18. iHalo thread starter macrumors regular

Your OCZ Vertex 2 or OWC Mercury Pro?