Worried if my macbook pro is infected with some kind of virus. I'm new to Mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MizLiz5, Aug 18, 2010.

1. MizLiz5 macrumors newbie

I just got my Macbook Pro 13" less than a month ago. I guess that was last week that I installed divX in my Mac and after reading some blogs about how you could possibly get a virus is from installing softwares and entering your admin password. I didn't have idea about this until today and well when I went to divx website and I downloaded and installed the divX version 7 in my macbook pro it did ask for my admin password and I typed it in. Now I'm worried coz I noticed days later there are some files in my trash can that I am not familiar with, and I didn't delete any of these from my computer I don't know how they got there. This already happened twice and I'm starting to freak out I just got my expensive macbook and don't want anything harmful for it.

Can anyone pease respond to this post whatever idea you have about this situation. Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you downloaded Divx from the divx website you're fine.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did you go to www.divx.com to download the Divx software?

Can you tell us the names of the files in the Trash or post a screenshot of it?

Btw, there are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are trojans, for which you have to enter your account password to even install it. If you got Divx from somewhere else, you might have something, but I don't know of any hacked Divx installations for Mac OS X, thus I can't be sure.

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

4. KirkL macrumors 6502

Did you uninstall any apps? The unknown files could be stuff related to the uninstalled Apps...

5. MizLiz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

is this the divx official website address? http://www.divx.com/en/software/download/start

why would they ask for my password to install?

also why are there now files in my trash can that i did not delete myself.. sorry, this is my first mac ever i'm loving it so much and just starting to learn. Thanks for replying :)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes that is the official website.

They didn't ask for your password. Your MacBook Pro asked for your password to make sure it is you (and not someone else) who is installing the software. It's asking permission to proceed.

The files in your Trash..... it might be more helpful if you tell us some of their names.

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Your Mac should ask you for a password before installing. Not the website. It's a layer of security in OS X to avoid problems.

EDIT: beaten to it. ^^

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If the unknown file is DivxInstaller.dmg in the trash then don’t be worried.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That websites is okay.

The installer asks for your password, as some files have to be put into folders, that belong to the system, thus they are protected and need your confirmation, that this installation process is coming from you and not someone else.

As for the Trash: it sometimes happens, maybe the daily, weekly or monthly routines put them there. MRoogle can help you find dozens, if not hundreds of threads about this.

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

10. MizLiz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh i'm sorry I've already deleted it the first time that was last week i guess.
    but i tried to open it and what I saw was some kind of records of log ins, date and time, etc.. today it was some kind of attachments.zip

11. Lokrado macrumors regular

your fine unless you pirated photoshop CS4 off bittorrent.

12. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

For that reason alone, my dad isn't allowed to even consider downloading ANYTHING onto <i>my</i> MBP. He's never touched it. (Though, he can if he wanted to look around. This thing is lightening fast.

BTW, rather than starting a new thread I will ask here... When I have enough Itune songs, can I take them off of my MBP and put them on an an external hard drive and still, if I needed to, reload them to my Ipod with all the songs that I had. I'm just trying to save room. Is there one out there that if you use it specifically for itunes, can it be plugged into your Ipod? (Well, actually a Ipod Nano.) I know it sounds wierd, but hopfully someone understands what I mean? Or do I just have to keep them on my MBP?

Since the only things I download are Itunes and any new system updates, I think I am going to have more than plenty of space for a long time. (I delete off any attachments I open in my e-mail. I don't save files once I download it.)

13. Lokrado macrumors regular

you can... its a messy solution but you can... and you'd have to change some settings in itunes to do it, but you can...

14. Lokrado macrumors regular

the virus requires you to install it with your administrator password, its the crack that installs it. the photoshop file is legit.

the whole administrator thing made me lol when i read it :)

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's NOT a virus, it's a TROJAN, if you install some pirated software titles like iWork or PS.

A VIRUS is not a TROJAN, they are both malware, but one requires a lot of user interaction (installing it yourself), the other requires almost none (only downloading it and executing the file).

I quote this often ignored information again: