Worst Cyclone recorded to hit Australia in a matter of hours

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jake.f, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jake.f, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

jake.f macrumors 6502

Hey
    not sure if anyone has hear about this, but cyclone Yasi is expected to hit the Far North Queensland coast in about 3 and a half hours time from now. Winds of 300km/h and a storm surge of 7 metres above high tide mark are expected.

Link

This seems to be extremely serious and I think the government knows it. There is non-stop coverage on TV here running all night, and apparently 4000 army personnel and the navy are waiting just outside the affected area to move in tomorrow morning when it has passed.

Link 2

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im in NSW, just near the QLD border. so i am fairly safe - but goodluck to those up Cairns/etc way. i actually know a few forum members who are from that area.

havent heard much on the news as of yet, but the last i hear was that 10pm was the expected time of impact with the coastline - which is roughly now!

goodluck to all..

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hope all goes well up there, Queensland has been through enough in the past few months and doesn't any more tragedy for a long time.

4. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Updated time of it hitting is 1am NSW time, at the moment it is still a large distance away and apparently houses are already getting torn apart...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

incredible. it is crazy how strong those winds are, i cant believe they are so fast!

6. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

wow. this is a super imposed image of it's size compared to the US :eek:

[​IMG]

7. DoFoT9, Feb 2, 2011

DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh my good lord! this is a wonderful picture! thank you for sharing.

8. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Watching the news now, there have been reports that an almost tsunami-like storm surge has hit land in Townsville. Apparently emergency services have been getting many calls for help but it is too dangerous to respond to them, and far too windy for helicopters.
    I am going to bed now, and I really wonder what kind of news I will wake up to...

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I was going to make a PowerPuff Girls joke, but thought better of it, considering the worsening situation. I hope everyone in the coastal areas got to safe ground; Australia does not need a Katrina-esque aftermath.

The picture stevenlangley1 posted is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i discovered this livefeed coming from Annandale/Townsville - not TOO far away from the eye of the storm near Cairns

intense.

11. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is one massive storm.:eek: I hope everyone was prepared and that there are few causalities.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

any updates thismorning? i am too lazy to turn on the TV. :)

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this thread seems eerily quiet.... eye of the storm?

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I hope everyone stays safe and that the storm dissipates quickly :( Australia has been getting hammered this year :(

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good luck guys and gals...I hope all stay safe. It is supposed to be really bad :(

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

18. bradl, Feb 2, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have some close friends in the Cairns, Earlville, Townsville, Innisfail/Babinda area and so far, everything seems to be okay. There was a report of the roof of the main evacuation center in Innisfail being completely blown off, as well as power out in the biggest evac center in Earlville.. some 3000 affected.

Good sources out there for this one..

http://www.cycloneyasi2011.com.au/
    http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/environment/weather/yasi-vs-the-world/20110202-1adhm.html
    http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...hreatens-north-queensland-20110201-1acgp.html
    http://www.theage.com.au/photogalle...r/cyclone-yasi-from-above/20110203-1ae84.html
    http://www.theage.com.au/photogalle...ueensland/20110202-1acrd.html?selectedImage=0

In the 4th link, picture #6 says a lot; comparison in size between Yasi and Katrina. Outside of the eye, they both look equally as powerful. In the 5th link #7 is a 'holy ****!' moment. So far though, no fatalities.

BL.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thank you very much for those links bradl - incredible isnt it!

at least most of the destruction is now gone.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Innisfail, Babinda, Tully, and Mission Beach bore the brunt of it, but still.. no fatalities.

Gotta love Oz.. not only did they have no fatalities, but they gave a big F U ti the storm by having a child born during it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/nickbryant/2011/02/cyclone_yasi.html

If that isn't symbolic of a middle finger in the air, I don't know what is.

BL.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

22. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Oh yes, the storm whimpered because of that.. :rolleyes:

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And perhaps you're not used to seeing something POSITIVE come out of a clearly negative story and set of events.. :rolleyes:

BL.

24. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

As someone who's been thru quite a few hurricanes, just want to say I'm glad to hear you Aussies came thru this with your health intact. Everything worth re-building, will be rebuilt. I hope your respective communities move forward together as a result of this.