Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

cheddar-caveman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
was updating to 10.14.6

Until then everything was wonderful now I get the dreaded spinning ball at almost every key click, well almost!

Most annoying in the mail, trying to put a web link in, won't, just goes into the ball and I have to do a heard reset to get it back working.

Any suggestions please? I've run Onyx and Malwarebytes.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
was updating to 10.14.6

Until then everything was wonderful now I get the dreaded spinning ball at almost every key click, well almost!

Most annoying in the mail, trying to put a web link in, won't, just goes into the ball and I have to do a heard reset to get it back working.

Any suggestions please? I've run Onyx and Malwarebytes.

Download the combi update and install. Something obviously got corrupted on the delta update.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Aussie in Japan
cheddar-caveman

What Mojave 10.14.6 build number do you have installed ?

1. Open " About this Mac " = Click the " Black Apple " top left on your finder screen.

2. It will show your Mac OS version but that is not your Build number . ..

3. Click the version and you will see your 'build number'

Post that build number here.

Display System Info Build number.jpg

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Current build is 18G103

One step better than trying the combo update would be to do a complete re-install with the full installer over your current installation (not a clean install).

That's why I always download the full installer for the very last build of any OS that apple makes available. It's a great way to wipe out any OS weirdness that may be going on.

Also, that way I can use it to make a bootable installer USB and put the OS on another machine down the road even once that OS version is no longer available from Apple.

Keep the full installer children ... you will thank me for that advice.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I'm still on an older version. Everything is running smoothly. I don't want to jinx it by installing 10.14.6. Besides, I need iTunes 12.6.5.3 and if I go higher, I might have trouble reinstalling or running it.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Current build is 18G103

One step better than trying the combo update would be to do a complete re-install with the full installer over your current installation (not a clean install).

That's why I always download the full installer for the very last build of any OS that apple makes available. It's a great way to wipe out any OS weirdness that may be going on.

Also, that way I can use it to make a bootable installer USB and put the OS on another machine down the road even once that OS version is no longer available from Apple.

Keep the full installer children ... you will thank me for that advice.

Does that also require installed softwares to be re-validated (like, MS Office, WORD etc.)?
If not, I would like to do a full install of just OS X so it will get rid of useless stuff in the previous OS X system files.

Reactions: MIKX

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
N
Does that also require installed softwares to be re-validated (like, MS Office, WORD etc.)?
If not, I would like to do a full install of just OS X so it will get rid of useless stuff in the previous OS X system files.
Nope. All your registered software (adobe, office, etc) will keep its validation

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
It's not just 10.14.6 - it's also 10.14.5. I'm not sure what the situation is but I'm running into issues with bizarre system freezes where the system occasionally seems siezed but some kind of massive process that causes the ui to slow greatly and then audio slows to a juddering mess (audio is reduced to short blasts of the content that almost sounds like a sample rate mismatch) and the finder is using 400% of the cpu horsepower - it doesn't appear to be time machine doing a backup or even any other apps.

System is 5k i7 iMac 4 ghz with 32 gigs of ram with 1TB fusion drive (and this still happens when booting off a 1 tb SSD). It seems to have started when 10.14.5 came into the scene. Drive has over 150 gigs free.

I can get it to reproduce if I play a youtube video while trying to read another webpage, something really basic that never caused problems before. It's not always but sometimes accompanied by beachballing and
greatly reduced keyboard responsiveness - at some random point, it's just whatever was causing the system to freeze unfreezes and buffered commands or requests all seem to happen at once.

Tried zapping the pram and resetting the smc and I thought it initially was related to my cable modem but I'm getting 200+ mb download speeds and 6+ up.

Anyone else encountering this?

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Updates screwing up my perfect running system happened in the past too. Like Safari suddenly being very slow in loading pages after an update, WiFi dropping connections. I know these updates give better security, but it is stressful and time consuming when a perfect system suddenly misbehaves after an update. I don't have time for that.

Reactions: bernuli

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Welcome to Apple World!
Nah, I think it is inherent to all systems. Although I feel it didn't used to be this way with Apple. That's why I'm wary instantly updating my machines as soon as an update comes out. I hate those iOS update nags Apple does currently, by the way. Each update is downloaded in the background with no way to stop it -- even if automatic update is turned off. I will decide when to update by my own, thank you!

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Aussie in Japan
The Man

If you have a spare HDD or SSD do a 100% clean install to that drive,

You will be able to see if any of your current problems still exist.

If no problems keep this drive as a backup drive.

Do a Time Machine back up of your problematic drive/

etc . . .. .

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Wow, I just crawled out from under a rock. I just saw that there is now Mac OS Catalina. I'm still on High Sierra.

I have two 2012 (13" and 15") i7 machines.

I was considering upgrading.

Is Mojave stable or does it still suck somewhat?

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Wow, I just crawled out from under a rock. I just saw that there is now Mac OS Catalina. I'm still on High Sierra.

Personally I love Mojave. It still runs my little stash of old 32-bit apps perfectly, but gives you many of the new UI tweaks including dark mode, the new app store, etc.

For me the last build (18G103) has been absolutely rock solid.

I’ll stay on Mojave for a LONG time to come. Very happy with it.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004

Can you still download Mojave now that Catalina is out, though? I need 32 bit support, so no Catalina. Mojave is fine. But the new iTunes removes the ability to backup iOS apps. There are workarounds by installing an older version of iTunes, though.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Can you still download Mojave now that Catalina is out, though? I need 32 bit support, so no Catalina. Mojave is fine. But the new iTunes removes the ability to backup iOS apps. There are workarounds by installing an older version of iTunes, though.

Well, thats a pickle. There are some underground sites where you can download it, but I dont think I would be allowed to post a link here.

Your situation is why I am personally ALWAYS vigilant about downloading and SAVING the last version of most OS installers. Especially with Mojave, I made sure to download and save the very last build (18G103) and make backups of it in late September.

If you have a dropbox I could put that in a folder for you. Just instant message me.

Reactions: bernuli and MIKX

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018

Hey thats great! I thought Apple wiped links to previous OS’s, but clearly not. Good news for people who need it.

EDIT: What's odd is that if you do a search for 'Mojave' on the Mac App Store ... that installer doesn't show up!

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Aussie in Japan
I'm downloading it now. ( just to be certain that nothing new has been added. ).
If you have ANY Mac OS installers in your Applications folder - remove them, save somewhere and hit that App Store " GET " button again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.