Worth $265 to bump up to 2.7 vs. 2.5 i5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lactoes, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lactoes macrumors member

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 21.5" iMac. I found an open box deal for the two base iMac machines below. I'm not too concerned about the extra HDD space (we have externals), so I'm really trying to drill down on the processor speed and maybe the vid card difference.

This machine will replace our ancient PC desktop. I already have a mid-'08 Macbook that I love dearly. But it's obviously limited in the video world. I'm not producing anything fancy, but I want to be able to edit simple home videos without insane lag. (Render time is not that much of a worry.)

So... is it worth $265? Is there a noticeable difference in the 0.2GHz? Anything else I should know?

$1010
    2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    500GB Hard Drive
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, DVD SuperDrive
    21.5" LED-backlit display with a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, AMD Radeon HD 6750M

$1275
    2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    1 TB Hard Drive
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, DVD SuperDrive
    21.5" LED-backlit display with a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080 HD resolution AMD Radeon HD 6770M

(BTW, yes I know new machines are impending. They always will be. I'm biting the bullet.)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not just paying for the faster processor, but double the hard drive space. You won't likely see any difference at all between the processors in normal use.

3. Lactoes thread starter macrumors member

If the difference is indeed negligible, you're saying I'm essentially paying $265 for 500GB?

Hmm. Considering externals can be had for $100 for1TB, I feel like I'm missing something...

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

You also get a little better graphics chip.

5. Lactoes thread starter macrumors member

Right... but is "a little bit" on the processor and a "little bit" on the GPU worth it?
    (I'm getting the impression I'll be happy with the cheaper option.)

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only question is will it be worth it to you. I doubt in normal use that you'd see any difference in performance between the two systems at all. You can buy an external drive for additional storage, for less than the price difference.

8. Lactoes thread starter macrumors member

Boom. Trigger pulled. Thanks for y'all's input!

9. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

If you are looking for more speed the processor won't make that much difference. If it were me I would look at a solid state drive first and have all the applications and operating system on there to speed things up. Then go to OWC or MAC Sales and buy the 16.0 gb upgrade for about $100 for 4-4gb kit. Then you would have a fast machine.

10. leman macrumors 604

11. Lactoes thread starter macrumors member

Dang. 16GB for $100 sounds unbeatable! I haven't heard of OWC before, but I just pulled up their site. I'm guessing they are pretty respected around here? Should I be concerned about using non-Apple RAM?