Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakkaday

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
i currently have a macbook pro 2013 retina 13'
i understand it cant do 4k resolution about 30khz which is pointless thats fine, but what acceptable resolution would it show? will it still do a retina display better then a thunderbolt display or similar

my current monitor external is a dell uh2713h

i am thinking about changing this for Samsung U28D590D 28 which is 60hz and in future i will be able to use the monitor for other devices and for 4k content pictures and videos?

what do you guys think?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
i currently have a macbook pro 2013 retina 13'
i understand it cant do 4k resolution about 30khz which is pointless thats fine, but what acceptable resolution would it show? will it still do a retina display better then a thunderbolt display or similar

my current monitor external is a dell uh2713h

i am thinking about changing this for Samsung U28D590D 28 which is 60hz and in future i will be able to use the monitor for other devices and for 4k content pictures and videos?

what do you guys think?

I've read it can do 50hz with some tweaks on that laptop. Sounds like a fine plan, but 4k is just gong to get cheaper over time as it displaces 1080p.

wakkaday

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
do you think i should give the u2713h back to the store? thats only 2560x1440 resolution

on a 4k display will i be able to get the above resolution right on the macbook? plus for gaming and other devices it will be more beneficial?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Only 1440p???

How quickly people forget. 1440p is better than most peoples TV.

Driving a 4K screen will be possible with your 13" I'm sure but it would ruin any performance for 3D graphics and gaming as your GPU will be working overtime. In fact I would be inclined to run any games in 1080p tops even on your 1440p screen to get better framerates.

The question is do you produce 4K content? If no then you don't need it.

Is 4K likely to be a problem for gaming and other things with a 13" macbook pro, the answer to that is yes so you would be lowering your enjoyment to gain a few pixels.

I would stick with the 1440 if I was you but then I don't see there being much mainstream 4K content to make it worth my while for a few years yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.