worth ditching grandfathered unlimited AT&T for Sprint iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itzcoolz, Oct 23, 2011.

1. itzcoolz macrumors regular

i have an iPhone 4 that I bought on launch day back in 7/2010 with AT&T unlimited data plan. As a trial, I recently bought a Sprint iPhone 4S (on a new number), and i'm coming up on my 14 day return policy window.

on the speedtest app, the Sprint 4S is consistently pulling lower rates (0.25-1.5Mbps), but in real life usage, it hasn't bothered me too much. however, i am hesitant to let go of the AT&T unlimited data plan, as it's hard to come by. It essentially comes down to 3 options:
    1) return the Sprint iPhone 4S, keep my iPhone 4 on AT&T
    2) end contract with AT&T, keep Sprint iPhone 4S
    3) return the Sprint iPhone 4S, buy unlocked iPhone 4S in November for AT&T

reception with my Sprint 4S is about 15% better than my AT&T, but my AT&T coverage hasn't really been a big downer. How much value would you attribute to the AT&T unlimited data plan?'

Bonus Question: is it possible to transfer the AT&T unlimited data plan to a new number? (been looking to get a new phone number)

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

how much data do you average a month? it doesn't seem like there's that much of a positive to go with sprint if att is not giving you problems?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So it sounds like you're getting equal service from both.
    Personally I'd keep AT&T. As they continue rolling out HSPA+, speeds will get better and better. What are Sprint's plans for network expansion? no idea.

Plus you get simultaneous voice and data. Unless you need to save money, I'd stick with AT&T.
    AT&T probably has better national coverage too

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I would hold on to my unlimited plan for the off-chance we can keep unlimited data when LTE is released. I think its safe to say the 4g iphone will be LTE and since ATT has the capital to expand to LTE faster I'd future proof myself.

Granted, Sprint will be getting LTE but their roadmap isn't til late 2012-2013 because of their investment into WiMAX....

By the time Sprint gets it LTE underway, ATT will have plenty of markets covered in LTE, and Verizon even more...Sprint will be playing catch up, but if you live in or near a major city, you have to figure you will get covered within the year on ATT...

5. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stick with AT&T. Tell them you are getting harassing calls and they will change your #.

6. briand05 macrumors 6502

Personally if I had an AT&T unlimited plan, the last thing I would do is drop it for Sprint. I had Sprint in the past and wasn't impressed to say the least. Also you have to consider the way Sprint just dropped unlimited 4G data for mobile hotspots and didn't grandfather anybody into it, I wouldn't trust them to do any grandfathering when they drop unlimited data for smartphones and there's a very good chance they will next year when they start building their LTE network.

7. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

you didn't say any negatives about att so why leave? You said negatives about sprint though..

8. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I just gave up my unlimited AT&T iPad plan (with MyFi tethering for several devices) after ordering the Sprint phone. I dropped the unlimited plan down to $15/250mb. I NEVER went over the 2gb threshold, but I have had to throttle back because I am near 250 and a lot of month left. The ATT 3g is better, and because it is on a JBed iPhone, it is more useful than my iP4s that I can't share with my wife or my ipad, etc.

The ATT seems faster and more robust. The Sprint 3g is sucking wind! It did ok when I was in Houston over the weekend, but still paltry. ATT is more consistent, and I have had them side by side several times, although my wife is now carrying the iPhone with the iPad ATT simm.

If it weren't for the corporate discount on Sprint, I would/should bail on Sprint. I am wondering if I should, because what I am getting is crap. So, the old adage is true again...you get what you pay for.

9. beret9987 macrumors regular

Really depends where you live and how your coverage is. I switched from AT&T to Sprint in '09 and haven't looked back(besides losing my iPhone), but granted, AT&T in the SF Bay Area in '09 meant you weren't actually carrying a phone, but a really pretty brick :p

If AT&T unlimited data suits you fine, and your coverage seems okay, I probably wouldn't switch. That is, unless, you're feeling the need to support the underdog instead of an monopolistic telco like AT&T. That was one of my huge reasons for switching as well, but it was really facilitated by the need to have better service.

10. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

most of you are right, i didn't really put great "pros" for the Sprint, so here goes

1) i already have the Sprint iPhone 4S in hand (and it was already a bit of a stretch, as my iPhone 4 is perfectly serviceable for most things)
    2) there is one spot where i work that i do find myself in about 15% of the time where i don't get any AT&T reception, but do get a sprint signal. Other than that one spot, though, coverage is comparable.
    3) as i alluded to, i was interested in changing my number for a new area code.

but all in all, i think i will most likely return the Sprint phone. if i really miss Siri, the Speed, or the Cameras, then i will consider buying an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S

11. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

You can still change your number. It costs $36 to do so.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

One thing is AT&T has promised to grandfather unlimited plans. Not sure if Sprint has made the same promise. In fact in recent months they have change unlimited plans for other devices to be limited plans. That includes their tethering plans for the phone, and 4G plans for mobile devices. Sprint may not have the same level of grandfathering of the unlimited plans as AT&T or Verizon for their smartphones in the future. Sprint could do away with the unlimited plans and put you on a restricted plan the next time you upgrade your phone.

13. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Me personally i dont think sprint will get any better. They've lost a ton of money, all these iPhone aren't helping. Im sure when they finally get LTE it they will be fine.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'd definitely stick with AT&T for now. Far better speeds and you're already grandfathered in. I'd go with AT&T and then see how things evolve in two years...