Worth it? 2009 15" MBP to new 13" MBA 256GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by katyoshi, Jul 26, 2011.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2009
    Honolulu, HI
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm debating whether or not it'll be worth it for me to jump ship to a MacBook air 13" 256GB i5/i7 from my previous 2009 15" MacBook pro (specs in my signature). I was going to give my mom the 15" mbp before I leave for military commissioned officers training and use it for the next 2-3 years. I mainly used the 15" mbp for graduate school work (ppts, research, papers) and media consumption as I'm not a programmer or graphics designer. I plan to enter doctorate school after 3 years of service and plan to use the computer there too obviously. Do you guys think it'll be a worth it move considering I have all these apple devices in my sig? I know it's up to me but I want opinions please. I can afford it and I really want the MBA but
    Trying to figure out if if it'll be a bad investment?
  2. IdleWanderlust macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2007
    Sounds like for your needs you will probably see a benefit of not having to carry as heavy a machine around and speed performances when doing day to day tasks. The down side will be watching videos and or playing games since the Air used shared system memory and a less powerful graphics card you may see some slow down and choppiness when using HD video.