Worth it to buy 15" C2D MBP early 09?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I want to sell my white MacBook now that it is discontinued (not that it makes any difference) and purchase a friend's MBP 15". I will only shell out $50 extra from my pocket.

It is the early 09 model with 2.4ghz C2D, 250GB HD, and 2GB RAM. Exactly identical to my whitebook except without a warranty. Should I jump?

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

You'll gain:
    2" screen - 1440x900 as opposed to 1280x800
    FireWire 800 port
    SD Card slot
    Audio In port
    Aluminum unibody

Assuming there's nothing wrong with it, I'd say that's absolutely worth $50 :)

3. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

The only thing I would be weary about is the lack of a warranty. I personally don't think I would purchase a computer without it as I've had two logic boards replaced in the past, but luckily both were covered.

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Thankfully the logic boards on the unibody's aren't as expensive to replace as the pre-unibody.. mine's out of warranty but I asked on friday what it would cost to replace the logic board just in case and i was told around $4-600. My bro's pre-unibody died and he was told $1000+

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

The logic board on a 13" i5 (in sig) is $492.41 with labor. Not sure on the 15" though. Definitely a nicer machine to have though to be honest.

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

first how much would you be selling your whitebook for?
    have you considered looking at apple refurbs?
    Macbook air,macbook pro's?
    if no
    depending on what your selling the whitebook for considering getting a mba.

7. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

well if u wanna spend a few more dollars than you can get a refurb 13'' pro.
    or
    mba.

both would be far better and faster with a warranty.

9. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Hmm, the battery cycle count is 80, is that good?

Also, I just prefer a bigger screen since it will primarily be a desktop replacement. I was going to go for an 11' Air and an external but the base model isn't such a great buy for me. Will the 2GB RAM be enough? I do not do anything intensive, just word and internet.

10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

2GB will do you fine but RAM is so cheap now it's worth it to just get 4GB. I think you can do it for around $30.

80 cycle count is very low.. mines 199 @ 22 months old.
    Just make sure to maintain the battery properly and you should be fine.

I also read somewhere on here there's a free unadvertised warranty replacement for batteries that die under 300-600 cycles even if you're out of AppleCare.

It's a solid machine, I have an 09 15" that I wanted to upgrade so badly when the new MacBook Pros came out and again when the iMacs came out but when I put it in perspective, this little baby does everything I need it to and does it very well. Adding an SSD and upgrading to Lion made it feel brand new again.

Basically, $50 for that upgrade is a no brainer. It'd be silly not to do it ;)