Worth it to pay $200 to upgrade from iPad 1 to iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theanimala, Jun 12, 2012.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I have had my iPad 1 since only a few months after it came out. I mostly use it for leisurely web browsing, Zynga games, and controlling my home stereo (Denon app, Pandora and Remote for airplaying my iTunes).

Overall it works well, but the lack of memory has me bothered at times. I hate in safari that if I go to different tabs it has to refresh the page just because I clicked over to another tab. It often does this if I am multitasking from a game back over to the Denon app, having to refresh it.

Looking online it appears I can sell my 32GB iPad 1 for approx $200 after fee's, etc, and the32GB iPad 2 can be purchased from Apple refurbished for $399, so I'm looking at about $200 to upgrade to the iPad 2. Eventually I would like to get the iPad 3 but that is too much of a price difference to pick up now.

Does anyone think the $200 is money well spent for what I plan on doing with it?

2. -TYLER macrumors regular

I say it is definitely worth, I bought a refurb 32gb iPad a couple weeks ago and I love it. Really glad I didn't pay the extra $200 for the iPad 3.

3. mad cow disease macrumors member

I have noticed my iPad 2 is more zippy than the 1, particularly when switching between apps or multitasking (i.e. running Pandora, browsing web, and having several apps in the background. Apps/webpages also load faster. 2x the memory and dual core makes a huge difference, as does the camera (as crappy resolution as it is). I don't find the 'New' one compelling enough for an upgrade.

Cowboom sells returned/used iPads in decent shape as far as I hear, you can find coupons online as well to make the upgrade cost <$200. But it can be hit or miss. If you want refurbs + warranty, Apple would be the way to go, definitely.

4. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I think I am going to do it. By going to the iPad 2 it should help with the upgrade to the iPad 3 once that goes down in price and I can resell the 2. Now I need to decide between Cowboom (didn't know that place existed) or doing the Apple refurb direct from Apple for $50 more...

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Most of cowboom's stuff is pretty good. A majority are just returned Best Buy items that sat as an open box on their shelves for too long. :)

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

iPad 3. I don't know why you would want to be a generation behind when the retina display is available. Buy the iPad 3 used and you can avoid a hit from the sales tax. Sell it next year before the iPad 4 comes out, and you will probably only lose about 10% in value (from the used price). That works out to about 10 dollars a month. The price of a couple of coffees. Rent, if you'd like. This is a great deal for the best tablet on the market.

7. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Apple refurb store sells refurb iPads that look and are as good as new. No scratches or blems. Fully sealed box with all accessories and a full 1 year Apple warranty.

Cowboom sells pre used units in open boxes with possible missing items.

$319 for return Ipad2 on Apple store. Its a no brainer.

8. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

100% worth it to pay the extra change for the iPad 2 if you're coming from the original iPad.

9. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Definitely. More memory, and more features.

Seeing as they are starting to take the axe to the 1st gen by denying iOS 6 to them it would probably be a good idea to jump ship.

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I've just done the same thing and upgraded from a first gen iPad to an iPad 2. So much better! Aside from it being lighter and smaller the speed improvement alone is definitely worth the price of an upgrade.

11. thegreati macrumors regular

iPad 1 is garbage compared to the iPad 2. I'd say yes. As long as it is a 64GB