worth trading unibody MB 2,4 ghz for MBA rev:B 1,6ghz with 128gb SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by King t., Mar 30, 2009.

1. King t. macrumors regular

hi,

i was wondering is it worth it trading my unibody MB 2,4 ghz for a MBA rev:b 1,6 with 128gb SSD? which one of them will have the higher reselling value?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Greed's gonna getcha. What's wrong with your MB?

3. King t. thread starter macrumors regular

nothing is wrong with my MB, my friend he bought himself the MBA and is thinking of selling it cause he needs a DVD drive. I haven't used the drive at all maybe even once^^
    that's why he asked if i would be interested in trading, i told that I would think about it.

how would the change affect me performance wise, the apps i use are safari, firefox, skype, MS office, iwork, iphoto, imovie, photoshop cs4, adium, itunes, vlc and isquint. sometimes photobooth.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I imagine that you will see a bit of a difference with photoshop. The MBA will probably be slower in photoshop. iMovie will also be a bit slower. Other than those two the MBA should be fine. The SSD is nice but I wouldn't trade just for that. Good luck.

5. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

correct me if i am wrong anyone. but the ghz is much less than your macbook and depending on that and the ram/memory will determine how much beach balling you will get and the speed of that. 2.4ghz and 1.6ghz is kind of a big difference and having 4gb of ram would help. I wouldnt do it, if you have the unibody you have the nice track pad and a nice all around computer, but do what you want. Overall he is getting a waaaaay better deal (even though macbook air cost more, which is ridiculous) maybe you could trade him then trade someone else to get the macbook back lol

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You are partially wrong. The Air has twice the L2 cache which makes up for the lower GHz. Its going to feel like the 2.0 MacBook, especially with day to day regular stuff.

Why don't you swap machines with your buddy for a day. Both of you can create temp user accounts for the other person to see if it meets your needs.

One thing is for sure, you will love the Air's screen.

The Air will have a higher resale value, but to a smaller number of people. What I mean is that you will get more for the Air, but it will take longer to sell, but potential resale is a poor reason to change machines.

7. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

truth, that would seem like the best option, just to swap for a few days. I didnt realize how bad the macbook screen was until i bought an external monitor, but its still good, at the end of the day the swaping for a few days is the way to go