Worth upgrading from a 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chumps52, Sep 14, 2013.

?

Choices :P

1. Get a 5C

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Get a 5S

84 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Stay with a 5

94 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. chumps52 macrumors regular

Title pretty much says it all.
    I have an iPhone 5 16GB at the moment... Is it worth going to a 5S or 5C, or just staying as I am and waiting? I just wanted some general thoughts.

I personally like the idea of a fingerprint sensor/scanner, and am also drawn to the new design/colours of the 5C, but I don't know whether either are worth it when going from a 5.

2. iBueno macrumors member

iBueno

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Upgrading to a 5c is pointless because it's the same phone theoretically. Upgrading to an 5s is questionable. By the time you are eligible for an upgrade the iPhone 6 will be released. There are thousands of threads on this already that can help you make a decision.

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Going from the 5 to either of those would be a waste in my opinion.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If I had a 5 I would not upgrade to the 5C/5S.

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Have a 5 and not upgrading. The fingerprint scanner doesn't really matter to me. I try never to use flash on photos - just don't like the un-natural light, so wouldn't use the new flash. The only thing that I would like is the larger aperture on the camera. And that's not enough for me to make a switch.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither would I.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

And I wouldn't either. I like the FP scanner but I still don't think it's worth an out of contract upgrade. I have a feeling the 6 is going to be THE iPhone to get.

10. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Not saying this would make you want to upgrade, but I thing the purpose of the new camera/flash improvements is so that the light doesn't look as "un-natural". I agree, I dont like using the flash on the iphone either, but I'm hoping that will change.

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Upgrade from 5 to 5C is not an upgrade to me as phones are too comparable. I'd almost see it the same as changing your black iPhone 5 for a white one.

5 to 5S is significant to me. Better processor and camera. Fingerprint scanner on the other hand is nice but not alone worth an upgrade for me.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Even if I had a 4 I wouldn't get the 5S. The iPhone 6 will probably blow it out of the water. At least I hope so.

13. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

You would if you installed iOS 7 on that i4.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I think you'll find every year it'll be 50/50 on what you want to hear. Some people want the latest tech and can justify it others wan't to get the bang for buck out of their phone so when they do upgrade it feels nicer. Honestly if you want the new phone and you have the money I don't see a reason not too. It's an iPhone 5 with a boost. Do you love your 5? Will you love your 5s more? yes.

15. yahoodlums macrumors member

hell no! Why upgrade a year old phone anyway? Wait til you drop it or something..

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's basically a slightly better camera and the fingerprint sensor, and the motion chip if you are into health. Don't fall under the marketing hype on the specs, nothing is going to utilize that horsepower so it's just bragging rights. Even the fingerprint sensor is kinda flawed in that it only works for unlocking the phone/itunes and if they do plan future use for apps then by the time devs get that information and write apps we will be looking at the ip6.

Still, the fp sensor definitely fascinates me and may win me over, but if I do buy the 5s I will do so understanding I am wasting my money, which I'm ok with.

17. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

I'd say stay with the 5, or if you really want to then get a 5s. But the upgrade from 5 to 5c would be minimal (other than the design).

18. chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback/replies.... I guess I'll just stick with my 5 and see what the 6 brings :) I'm just getting drawn in by all the hype about 64bit and the FP sensor... I guess the latter is only unlocking the phone and purchasing anyway

----------

The poll is pretty 50/50 too between the 5S and 5

19. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I'm still not exactly clear on what the 64 bit processor is but for average users I'm guessing it won't be a night and day difference. It's not like everyone plays infinity blade on their phones all day lol

20. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Worth it. Coming from a 5 owner who was perfectly happy with my phone up until the Sept. 10 announcement. Sent from my iPad.

21. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

22. chumps52 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah I know, tbh I don't really know myself. But I do know that apparently it just makes the phone a lot more powerful. Either way, the 6 will still have this 64 bit processor.

Also, anyone who thinks they can only play IF3 on the 5S is stupid :p You will only notice it running 5x faster by somehow getting the FPS.... You wouldn't notice the difference playing it side by side

----------

Only saying that because I know some people who thought that it was basically a 5S exclusive

23. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

I think the 5 to 5s would be a noticeable upgrade, but not worth it personally. I'm due for an upgrade for the 6 so that will probably be what I do, but realizing the "s" upgrades get biggest improvements internally, I may try to hold out for 6s. That'll probably be a hard wait. :rolleyes:

24. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

This

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

iPhone 4 is my backup phone and I have been using that through all betas and the GM iOS 7. It's not bad.