Worth upgrading from air2 64GB to 10.5" Pro 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by j2ee, Jun 18, 2017.

1. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

So we were playing around with a 10.5 in Apple Store and look like it is kind of cool. We are using air2 for more than 2 years now. Worth it to upgrade at all?

2. OKLY macrumors member

OKLY

Depends, if you're only going to use it for media consumption purposes, the main benefits that is noticeable is the bigger and better display (brighter, better colours and smoother) for your usage.

If you'll be using it for productivity purposes then definitely go for it as the processing power and more RAM will help with your productivity. Support for smart accessories is also another plus point.

3. Nomad74 macrumors newbie

Nomad74

I have one. I love the feel of it. However I have only had it a few days. The speed is better and of course colours are really bright. I upgraded from an iPad three so for me the differences are very noticeable.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hmmm. IMO, the upgrade may not quite be enough. As others have said, depends on your use case. If it's mostly consumption then I don't think there will be a huge improvement. I'm still chugging along with an original Air so maybe my advice is lame? ;)

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's all in the apps and the demand they are putting on the existing hardware..
    We have a 10.5 and it's fine, but i'm not seeing anything ground breaking in terms of improvements - so much so I'm on the edge of returning it to apple. Its no more or less a replacement device than the none pro iPads, the lack of cases is annoying and mis-sized borders a little freaky.

6. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

7. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

8. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

9. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Worth it for me. Depends on your usage and 'love of iPad' BUT with iOS 11 in the fall... the extra power might help.

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

If you want to use an Apple Pencil the answer is yes.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

12. karlwig macrumors 6502

The screen itself might actually be big enough of an update. Quite literally: The 10.5 size is just so damn nice, and feels a lot bigger than the 9.7 screen in use (after all, it's 20 percent bigger in screen area).

The 120hz makes everything smoother as well. If you use your iPad a lot I'd say the upgrade is worth it.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The interesting thing is aside from edge cases, the iPad Air 2 doesn't feel slow. The iPad Pro 10.5 certainly feels more fluid but the experience on the Air 2 isn't what I'd consider bad (e.g. iPad 2/3 on iOS 8+).

Heck, the Air 2 feels speedier with web browsing compared to the computers we have at work which still use HDDs.

14. Mike82 macrumors member

Is it better in every way? Absolutely. Is it worth the pretty expensive upgrade? Not to me. The Air 2 still rocks. Even Lightroom is fast. I'll wait for the next model, which will hopefully sport an OLED screen. And by then my Air 2 will be slowing down, I'm sure.

15. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

The Air 2 was such a big step up from the Air IMO. I feel like it was similar to this upgrade from the Pro to this “Pro 2”.