Worth waiting for new MBP + Estimate of day you will be able to get it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hakimm, Oct 2, 2013.

  1. Hakimm macrumors member

    Jun 4, 2010

    I need to get a new mbp retina (already getting a new imac) for work which will mainly consist of using it for video editing and rendering. Im getting the macbook pro free from the client but i can only claim it within a certain time.

    Im in a dilema as i have heard the new mbp are about to be released very soon and i dont want to buy a mbp retina for the new one to be released a week later.

    However at the same time i need to work on this job as soon as possible and can borrow a current model retina mbp to do the work but it is not ideal.

    So my question is it worth waiting 2 weeks to order in the hope its released then or should i just buy it now and will the new mbp models even be that much better.

  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    No one knows when the new MBPs will be released so its difficult to say if its worthwhile to wait 2 weeks.

    I always go by; if you need one now, then get it, if you can wait then wait.
  3. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

    Sep 25, 2013
    Our common sense says it will be announced and probably launched this month, but you never know. I like to think about this situation as the time I played roulette at the casino. Only playing on colors, red or black. It's been black 5x in a row and you keep telling yourself the chance for it to be red now is huge. In the end, you loose a lot of money after it being 13x black in a row. There is no connection between previous results, every time you trow the chances reset again :p

    Now this is not exactly the same situation, but the fact that Apple always released new MBP's in October doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen again this year. But again, we all agree that we think the chances are high.

    The biggest question you should ask yourself is: how important is battery life for me? If it is very important, it's really worth waiting for the new MBP. I think that's the area where the biggest improvement is going to be. If that's not at all important to you, you could consider an existing MBP. If you can wait it's probably going to be worth it though.
  4. sarakn macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2013
    Our common sense said that in June, then August, then September. In a few weeks when it still has not been released, it'll be November, then December, then February.

    Didn't Kuo predict September after the June predictions turned out to be wrong? That's one name I don't want to hear again.
  5. ssls6 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 7, 2013
    Wait as long as you can then pull the trigger. It's the only thing you can do and if your lucky it will work out. I personally think it will be Oct and tied in with Mavericks along with the Mac Pro.
  6. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Agreed, we've been saying, hoping and praying this every months since Haswell was released by Intel. Still no love by Apple. If apple wants to capitalize on the holiday market they need to release this sooner then later. Given the stealth update of the iMac, its hopeful we'll see it, but you never know.
  7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    It is for work, it is being paid for by the client. In my opinion this is a clear "buy now" situation.

    Imagine if new MBPs are released but come with availability issues? Or the stupid thing that Apple is doing in Switzerland, where they stopped selling the iPhone 5 but the 5c/s is not available yet.
    Imagine you wait two weeks now, there is a release but with limited supply, and then you have to wait another month for the machine to arrive. Would your client be happy? Would you be happy?
  8. borgqueens macrumors member


    Aug 10, 2013
    I think it is highly likely that the rMBP is soon to arrive. That is the only reason I can find for why it takes them two weeks to get my iMac shipped with a few modifications.

    They are properly filling stock piles at this very moment. They do need to make a lot of them all before they introduce them to the world.
  9. willgreene99 macrumors regular


    Dec 16, 2010
    I am in the same situation. I have a pressing project that would benefit from the new models, but pushing out the timeline is beginning to get critical. Ugh, waiting, waiting, waiting.....
  10. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
  11. sigma7 macrumors regular


    Oct 14, 2012
    Prove :rolleyes:
  12. sarakn macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2013
    Although I really want to replace my dell laptop, it's not that bad. The most pressing issues are somewhat manageable.

    1. Battery - The normal battery life is 2 hrs. I can be charging all day and the minute I disconnect, the battery is dead. Other times, it could be good for an hour or so. It varies when the battery decides it wants to work.

    2. I work on many apps and tend to have a few Firefox browsers open with 10+ tabs each. After a while, the system starts screaming and needs to be restarted.

    3. Cosmetic: I pulled the bordering metal frame and it's currently held down by butterfly clips. I can buy a replacement for about $35-50, but why? I might replace the frame AFTER I get the rMBP, but I don't want to just yet. The logic is not quite there, but oh well.

    4. Video playback: Watching youtube videos has been the main culprit is freezing/sucking up memory and processes. The only thing that causes major performance issues is YT and that requires a reboot. Since I don;t watch YT at work, it only affects me at home.

    The upside to this is although I've been waiting since FEBRUARY for a new laptop, the current laptop I have was quite loaded when I bought it. It's a Dell XPS 1640 with 8GB ram, 2.8ghz processor and 64-bit processor. If I had not purchased a somewhat loaded system, I may have had to buy what's currently available out of desperation.

    I just hope this laptop continues to work and a new one is released soon.

    /side note: I just added another $1,200 to my laptop and ipad fund today. :)
  13. StockDC2 macrumors regular

    May 16, 2011
    Don't kill the messenger but I think he's referring to this:

    "MacBook Pro 2013 release date is expected to take place on October 15 alongside other Apple products - iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 and OS X Mavericks. French Web site MacGeneration says that the Cupertino-based tech giant is planning a special event on October 15. It is also the site that sparked rumours of the MacBook Pro 2013 being released on the said date."

Share This Page