worth waiting till after wwdc to buy a 17" mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quackwack, May 14, 2009.

1. quackwack macrumors member

well i've been using my 17 mbp everyday at the university library over the exam period and now a friend of mine wants to get one too :D

i see that wwdc is around the corner and read the front page news the other day about the arrandale processors most likely being available at the start of next year.

i told him if he needs one right away he should go ahead and order seeing as they only came out towards the end of february and there probably wont be anything siginificant till those arrandale based processors are introduced.

good advice? or do you guys reckon maybe a processor bump would be introduced at wwdc, maybe the 3.06 brought in?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Maybe a minor bump if that. I say if he wants one, get one. I'm trying to hold out till the big bump hopefully late this year if I can.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Notebooks are probably not going to be updated at WWDC but I always hold off on buying right before *any* major Apple event--even a minor bump is nice to have for the same money you would have paid for the previous model. Its only a few weeks away at this point.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd wait its so close might as well.

There is a rumor about a 15" OLED BTO screen option. You never know, apple has always been the "first" to adopt things and we might get blown away by it.

Maybe Apple will introduce a new multitouch netbook?

Or it could be just minor bumps to the 15" but hey its free bumps for the same current prices.

Its already May 14th.

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

It depends. If you are planning to get the high end MBP, wait until after WWDC as the high end ones are usually updated first. If you are planning on getting a low end MBP, get it now as they aren't usually updated as often.

7. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

apples never the first to adopt things they are normaly the last

8. etiger13 macrumors member

Why do you say they are probably not going to be updated? There are tons of rumors (I know, rumors are rumors) saying notebooks will be updated or there will be some new type of notebook (i.e. netbook). Plus looking at how long its been since some notebooks have been updated, seems like they are due.

9. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

But there is a rumor about built in 3G? I would think the pro would get it if it's trure. Also the rumor about blueray? Could they adding those too?

10. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I would think that they would include 3g in a tablet and not the pro. I think blu-ray won't happen until October to be ready for the holiday season.

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

??? Are you being sarcastic? Or do you just mean GPUs? (And arguably BluRay, although that is merely not including a competitor more than anything)

12. goMac macrumors 603

With WWAN support in Snow Leopard I'd be willing to bet on them releasing new modals alongside Snow Leopard with WWAN support, and with them adding GPS in Snow Leopard, I think we could see them add GPS as well. WWDC actually seems like a very good time for them to update the MBP.

And a GPU upgrade wouldn't hurt.

13. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I doubt they will update the 17" as it only started shipping on February and i know many countries were they just started preordering the 17". If anything you may get snow leopard few weeks/months after the event.

it is more like if they are going to update that they will update the 15" and 13".

However, as everybody said if your friend need it now, just buy it. if not, there is no harm in waiting.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Not so. Firewire and now mini displayport has been first by Apple. Sure they were invented by Apple but that still doesnt stop them from adopting oled displays first.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree. Other than the Mac Pro, Apple is way behind the rest of the pack.

Sad that things like BluRay and 4-Cores have been available on PC notebooks for half price of Macs with DVD and 2-Cores.

Apple is innovative in items like a glass trackpad. But if you think of it, a glass trackpad probably costs pennies to make. It's nice, but not adding to computing power in any way. How about backlit keyboards, probably costs less than a dollar to add a few led lights. Makes it really nice, but doesn't make computer work better. Innovative in its aluminum case, but it costs less than three dollars for two pounds of aluminum. Sure costs a little to manufacture it, but the point is Apple is the master at making people happy with small improvements that add little expense while charging huge sums for those small features. We all love our Macs, but we should really all be buying Apple stock.

OP - I would advise waiting. There are rumors for an update shortly before or after WWDC. Apple has a history of updating around WWDC, so it's logical to think before or after and not at WWDC. The 17" MBP could see a CPU bump and new graphics. There is a great rumor about an OLED display which would be worth waiting quite awhile for in my opinion.

16. bonini macrumors newbie

I'm going to be starting college in the fall and I am planning to get a 17" mbp. I was thinking I would wait until after WWDC to order in case of updates. However, if they do update at WWDC how long does it usually take for new ones to start shipping? If I wouldn't have it by September maybe I would be better off just ordering now.

17. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Are you trying to imply that things like the glass trackpad, backlit keyboard, and aluminum case aren't really truly innovative because it costs pennies to add? How could shoving a quad core and Bluray be innovative?