worth waiting till July to buy a 17" macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joelistheman, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. joelistheman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #1
    I can't decide whether to buy a macbook pro now or wait till July cause I don't want to find out after I've bought one that in 3 months from now they'll have blu-ray drives or something that will make me kick myself. Can anyone enlighten me if it's worth the wait or not?

    thanks


    edit;
    not that it makes a great difference but I'll be using the macbook pro for heavy photoshop work as well as autodesk maya, so is it worth waiting for upgraded specs?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    They won't add Blu-ray in three months. There will probably be no changes at all until Q1 2010.
     
  3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

    ButtUglyJeff

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Location:
    New York. The state, not the toilet.
    #3
    The only possible advantage would be a free upgrade to "Snow Leopard". Apple might announce the release at WWDC, in June. Apple then usually offers free upgrades, by mail.

    There was just a "speed bump", a few weeks ago, when the iMacs were updated a bit.

    But as all guesses like this, you might end up annoyed that you didn't get to enjoy you new machine sooner. By choosing to wait upon a fantasy.......
     
  4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

    mcavjame

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    phased to this universe
    #4
    I have found that technology moves incrementally. The speed gains from one system to the next are best observed through benchmarks and don't really reflect day to day use.

    I would go for a machine now if you need it.
     
  5. joelistheman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #5
    thanks for all your advice, gonna have to make a decision and quick
     
  6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #6
    The 17" won't receive an update anytime soon. I would say now is a good time to buy. Also the Matte screen is awesome. As for upgrading the specs I wouldn't bother just make sure you stick plenty of RAM in the model you want....

    Shadow
     
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #7
    I agree with the Blu-ray, but you don't think there will be any updates to the 17" MBP for 12 months (Jan 2009 to Q1 2010)?

    I'm thinking a speedbump is possible, or just a shift of default processors to faster ones already available today (i.e., 17" MBP would come standard with the 2.93 GHz at the same price as today's default 2.66 GHz processor), but nothing that's really worth waiting for.

    OP, if you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait until July without any hardships, then I guess you can wait and hope for a slight speed bump. It may make a slight difference in speed, but don't expect much. Also, if they don't update it by July, wouldn't it make you feel even worse if they updated it in August or something? Get it now. :)
     
  8. txnoob macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #8
    Exactly. Besides even if you do get Snow Leopard by waiting, if it hasn't been perfected yet (which it most likely won't) you may wish you had 10.5.6(or 7) while they do work out the kinks.
     
  9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
  10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #10
    There wont be blu-ray in Apple laptops until about 2014/2015, i could explain why but its been chewed over too much here already. Nows a perfect time to buy, some people might tell you to wait 4 months for Snow Leopard, but unless your a very very very experienced Mac user and enjoy hunting around for compatable software then i really wouldn't recommend doing that.
     

Share This Page