Worth waiting until after christmas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by caswell11, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. caswell11 macrumors newbie

    Nov 19, 2003
    Hi all,

    Have finally decided to upgrade from my beloved but aging PIII 500, and switch to Mac into the bargain. After much deliberation, I decided on the 12'' iBook since I can't justify the extra AUD$800 for the 12'' pBook, as awesome as that little machine is. The iBook will serve my needs for the next few years anyway.

    The question is, would I be able to get a better deal if I hold off until after Christmas? Are there likely to be any specials or discounts available then (from either apple.com.au or a retailer such as nextbyte.com.au)? And if so, would they operate on top of an edu discount, or is that pretty much the best deal I'll be able to get?

    Any input would be much appreciated.

  2. stoid macrumors 601


    Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    One thing to keep in mind is that since you are charged taxes on the system of your choice, often times on the lower-end systems, particularly the iBook line, the 100 dollar discount may just barely cover that sales tax. I don't know if the other resellers have to charge that same sales tax, but if they give you 50 dollars of RAM and a 50 dollar carrying case that you like, I would go with them over Apple.
    Just my lil ol' .02
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    christmas is not very relevant, i don't think. apple don't have post-holiday firesale, usually. (they usually don't have much of a sale, period.) plus if you use edu. discount, it's unlikely to get further discount anyway... (there was one guy who got both edu. and 10% discount on the panther night but that's an anomaly than the norm.)

    if you can wait until christmas, you might as well wait until Jan. for the San Fran. Expo. you will probably get a modest price drop and/or product update (however minor, updates are nice...) and/or new products. :confused: :eek: :D
  4. pinto32 macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2003
    Yes brings up an interesting question for me.....supossedly the apple stores will be giving a discount (10% ala Night of the Panther?) on Black Friday.....if this come true, will I be able to combine this with my education discount? 25% off an ibook would be more than worth the 2 hour drive!
  5. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    The educational discount cannot be combined with another discount. You have to choose between a store discount and the educational discount.

    If you are not in need of a new computer now, then I would also advise waiting till MWSF in January 2004. There might be some updates and price decreases.
  6. MacFan26 macrumors 65816


    Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    I would also say if you could wait until after the January expo to do so. If they do release new iBooks, there will most likely be a decrease in the price of the current ones, or you'll just get more for your money. Congratulations on switching :)

Share This Page