Would $10 per Gallon Gas be a Bad Thing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I felt that this is an idea worth discussing in its own thread. Would a $6 per gallon gasoline tax, on non-commercial plated vehicles with the revenues going to pay our national debt be a bad thing? I truly believe that this is a win/win idea. It would cut down on our fuel use and greenhouse gasses would make those on the left happy. There would be additional revenue which would make the right happy.

This would cause demand for alternative fuel vehicles which have failed so miserably to increase. You'd see more people wanting to purchase LPG vehicles, Electric Vehicles and Hybrids. The giant SUV's would slowly fade away as people learned that they really aren't needed. Face it, the Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator can only seat seven (eight if you opted for the center bench seat) and there are many much more efficient vehicles that can seat that many.

The USA currently uses about 365 million gallons of gasoline per day. Let's do some simple math… Let's say they collected the tax on 100 million gallons per day times 365 days. That equals 133.225 billion gallons in a year. That is almost $800 billion a year in additional revenues.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Would $10 per Gallon Gas be a Bad Thing?

You would financially crush and excessively burden those who can't afford to buy a new alternative fuel vehicle.

The giant SUV are fading on their own, replaced by the efficient jacked up station wagon.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Projecting tax revenues on a huge gas hike is going to be tricky, the economy would quickly nose dive and there's no way the government could control themselves to alot the revenue for debt repayment when everyone is going to be pissed off at them.

We should be stripping any fossil fuel subsidies and diverting them to r&d for alternatives.

4. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It was a little sarcastic but not really. Let's think about it. How far do most people drive to work?

Of course, but it is an interesting idea to think about.

But think about the win/win side of it. They don't have to increase the income taxes. This would be a consumption tax that you choose how much you will pay by how much gasoline you choose to use.

You are absolutely right, it would take a President with a huge set of cajones. Often it is unpopular to do what needs to be done. You would be surprised to hear that a member of this administration, Energy Secretary Chu once suggested raising the gas tax.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Who exactly do think comprises "the right"? I would wager the majority of Republican voters are non-college educated and do blue collar work. I would further wager that many of these people drive pickup trucks, especially in the South, and many of those pickups don't have commercial plates. These people really couldn't care less about raising revenue for the government, but more about keeping more money in their own pocket. Nevermind that many of them are only Republicans because of the social aspects of the party, not the fiscal ones. In their minds, anyone who proposes gas tax hikes to cure the national debt would be labeled a "liberal". So no, I highly doubt "the right" would appreciate this.

----------

Never thought I'd say this, but you really don't get the way Republicans think do you?

6. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Those on the political right tend to want to keep income taxes low, cut spending and have shown a willingness to pay off our national debt but only if it is done without raising income taxes on those at the top. The Fair Tax is a consumption tax that is not only proposed by Republicans but co-sponsored by many other on the right.

The biggest problem with new revenue streams is that there would immediately be those that wanted to spend it on something other than paying down the debt.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Again, do you really think Billy Bob in Bumblescum, Mississippi cares about how much income tax rich people are paying or our national debt? He cares that his gas is cheap. The people you are referring to are the 1% educated and wealthy Republicans who have absolutely nothing in common with the rest of their party, who are mostly blue collar and uneducated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you strip out all the social aspect of the GOP like gay marriage and abortion and the whole Jesus thing, they wouldn't have a leg left to stand on. The party would be dissolved tomorrow. That's why they leave that stuff in their platform.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's been argued for decades that based on the price of gasoline, the U.S. is not paying the true cost of using fossil fuels. It's similar to other environment issues where we willingly burn our house for an economic benefit. At what point will the smoke and temperature increases finally make us uncomfortable enough to change, after we end up living under a tarp exposed to a vicious environment?

9. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are right Billy Bob probably doesn't care but let's be honest, as long as that same candidate is pro-Gun Billy Bob will vote for him. It isn't like he's going to switch to the Democrats.

Have you been to Bumblescum recently? I heard they got a second stoplight.

When the water is plentiful you don't worry about the well but when it goes dry…

Think about your own driving habits and things that you observe. How many vehicles on your daily commute had only one occupant? When we get ready to go somewhere do we think about combined errands to save fuel? Do we even think about saving fuel? How many people have remote starters to heat or cool their vehicle before getting in it.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Nah, at that point Billy Bob will probably feel so disenfranchised he probably just won't vote.

Do they also have them moving pictures and perfume for your armpits?

11. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are probably exactly right. And that would be true on both sides. The people who are staunch Democrats wouldn't vote for a Republican and vice versa it's only those middle of the road ones that would go either way.

Of course, with gasoline at $10 per gallon they would have to all pile in the truck to go to the County Seat to watch the moving picture. Which would be a great example of conservation. They would also combine the trip to the movies with the trip to the gun shop, tackle store and convenient store to buy beer and lottery tickets. So it could be a good thing even for Billy Bob.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

In Britain and much of Europe, they pay the equivalent of $8 a gallon, and even that is subsidized. Just getting rid of the subsidies for motor fuel (including taxing it to actually cover the cost of the supporting infrastructure) would bring the price of fuel into the ten dollar range. So, if you want to put $6/gallon toward the debt, without taking away the subsidies, you would be robbing Peter to pay Thor.

And, really, the debt is not a simple bucket of red ink. At least half of it is money the government owes itself. The way accounting works, you would probably have to have two PhDs in that stuff to fully understand it.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As out military provides security for the world oil market, we already pay $10 a gallon, likely more.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So... You exempt commercial vehicles from your plan, but then you start trying to sell the plan using numbers based on taxing every gallon the US consumes?

Flim, meet flam. Typical of those on the right.

15. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Can you show me which one of the fuel efficient vehicles that can seat eight AND tow 9000+ lbs.?

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

the last time we tried to pay off the national debt people wanted more spending

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

With six people sitting in it and a trailer behind, it is reasonably fuel efficient. But when mom uses it to buy a bag of groceries, it is not.

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It is very true that it is complicated. A lot of people assume that we owe China all the money but the truth is most of it is owed to the USA. However, I don't think anyone would believe that paying it back is a bad thing.

Actually, I did the math on 100 million gallons per day but posted the link showing that the USA currently uses 365 million gallons per day. I believe that my math estimate was fair considering that I was only counting on 28%. This is really not going to happen so we can work on it.

Of course, the insult doesn't really help much.

You are right there are some limitations to using smaller vehicles so it won't work for every situation. My Lincoln Navigator rarely gets used for towing and is generally used only when I need to haul a giggle of little girls somewhere. I generally drive a Toyota Prius. Many people will find that having a second vehicle works better for them.

----------

And that would be the problem… Keeping politicians fingers out of the till. The left would want to fund a new social program and the right would want to fund a new war.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Where did the 100 million number come from?

Says the man who calls poor people lazy, and teachers grifters. Civility is a two-way street.

20. TPadden macrumors 6502a

So .... you assume the revenues would be going to pay our national debt.

Flim, meet flam. Typical of those on the left :D!

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Jeez, could you possibly paint with any broader a brush?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not sure I follow? :confused:

Is this one of those jokes where you have to explain the punch line?

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Come on, let's get real here, we both know it's true.

24. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The tax law could be written in such a way that the funds could only be used to pay the national debt. This is a far fetched idea that isn't likely to happen because both parties would be in trouble if it did. The State of Georgia passed the Lottery into law back under Governor Zell Miller (D) with the stipulation that all money had to go to education. Years later there was some discussion of changing that law to use some of the money for other things… Because it took a change to the law to make it happen it didn't go anywhere. It couldn't get support.

Sooner or later we will have to do something about our ballooning deficit. That may be austerity measures like Greece or higher taxes which will be equally unpopular. At some point the service on our debt will exceed the amount of discretionary income that the federal government has.

25. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I have grave doubts about anything you might think you know.