Would 2011 MBP withSSD/HHD combo be quicker than Ivy MPB with out DVD bay for my SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EasyB, Apr 24, 2012.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

I know apple is usually pretty tight with information, but is there any real evidence that the optical bay will be discontinued?

My dilemma is that I really like having two drives, especially a SSD for speed and a HHD for size. I have a 240GB SSD in the optical bay and a 1T in the HHD bay. I need a new 15" MBP. I would like to wait for the new Ivy processor and USB 3, but I think I would rather have the currrent offering if they are gonna do away with the DVD bay. Unless they add a second 2.5 bay of course, I would like that.

Or is my thinking wrong? Or should i go with the Ivy processor and hope that SSD's of 1.5T at a reasonable price become available within a year?

I still think that the current MBP with a SSD as the system drive and the 1T HHD would just be quicker all around than whatever the new MPB will be. Maybe not in raw processing power, but just snappiness for everyday things.

Or maybe the optical/DVD bay will still be there and I can have the best of three worlds. The fast drive, the big drive, and the baddest Mac around.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input

2. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

No DVD Drive = 2x HDDs

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Your title makes no sense.

A 2012 Ivy Bridge will be faster then your 2011 Sandy Bridge if both have a SSD for the boot drive.

I think you are eluding to have the potential to have less storage options with the 2012 if they get rid of the optical drive and don't have an option for a second internal storage drive. Then yes your 2011 will be the way to go if you need the best of both worlds a SSD and HDD for storage.

Hopefully we will see soon what our options are soon. I'm hoping for a SSD+HDD option in the 2012 lineup. A 512gb SSD won't do it for me.

4. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

Yea, sorry about that. I tried to get as much info about the post as possible to bring in people like me. Just one or two words might grab someones attention that would just skip over a generic question. I get so sick of titles like "Hard drive question", basically I want to know before I click it and waste my time if I'm interested in it or if I could help with it. There are just too many post to read them all on top of everything else. Plus it was in the middle of the night when I wrote it and I'm overseas with a tad of jet lag.

Oh yea, I get that. It sounds like 10-15% faster, well in processing speed at least. I guess my main question was that if we lost the option to have a fast boot drive in there, or just a second drive bay, would you get better performance from a hopped up Sandy Bridge with a SSD boot drive and a 1T HHD for storage or would the speed of the new machine with a standard HHD outperform it. If that makes sense. lol, I'm tired. But size has to be at least a terabyte and I want it snappy. And what is the chance of them getting rid of it, I mean don't people use it to burn disk for their clients on location or something. I don't think the purpose of a top of the line pro machine is to be the smallest and lightest, that's the job of the Air. Within reason of course. It still has to be slim, sleek and better than the rest.

Man, that would be great. I just don't see them doing it. And one reason is because we can do that already. And this way they don't have to worry about making the machine harder to understand for some. Just like a two button mouse. So if they did, I would be afraid of some weird automation where we don't have control of where things go. Or some funky combo drive. Then you can forget about upgrading yourself when things become available. And I wouldn't of been able to have a terabyte drive in there for over a year now, I still don't think they offer it as an option.