Would 2GB's on Verizon be enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geffen, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Geffen macrumors 6502

I'm unsure how much data i use. I normally just check emails and go into a few sites like Facebook or news sites would 2GB's be sufficient for me or is it to high?

2. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Call them and ask what your historical data usage is if you're a current smart phone customer.

Otherwise, it is for most.

3. darster Suspended

For what your are doing, yes.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just go to your myverizon page and check out your usage history.

But for what you're doing, 1 GB would be enough. You can always upgrade.

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

not on lte unless u never plan to stream audio or video or download apps and are just using it for email and viewing standard web pages

6. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Just get the 2GB. The other packages are super expensive. Which is why im glad I finally have LTE on Sprint, I use 1GB+ everyday, with no worries :D

7. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

For what you're planning to do it should be enough. We went from two unlimited plans to a VZW 4gb share plan for my wife and I when we got our ip5's on launch day. Tomorrow is the end of our billing cycle and we're sitting at 915mb. I use my phone the way you described and my wife likes to play to those online game thingies, words something something and some game that makes an annoying bubble pop sound and one that plays music and she has to guess it. I don't know how much data those things use, but our overall data usage appears to be unchanged since switching to the ip5 and LTE. If this patterns remains the same for the next two months I'm going to drop us down to the 2gb plan.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I do all of this on LTE and never go over 800 mb

9. mzd macrumors 6502a

i am on a 2GB data plan (with AT&T though) and have been since the 4 was introduced and really have no problem with this amount. i never really come close to hitting the limit except for a few rare occasions when i was streaming a movie on the bus. my normal data usage is just email, browsing, and FB, with some youtube thrown in. nothing heavy.
    but, it all depends on your routine data usage. you really should check that out. check your past bills or install the Verizon app and check your usage!
    also, i don't use iTunes Match or Spotify - if you do then you will certainly use more data than i do on a regular basis.

10. richiekim macrumors newbie

Will data using go up from 3G to 4G or does it stay the same? I never go more than 2GB on my 3G unlimited plan.

11. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Not for me, that would last one weekend maybe...

12. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

It is just too bad it takes the whole day to download that 1GB+ :D:D

woof woof

13. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have the iPhone 5 and I got the 2gb Shared Data package (wife also got the iPhone 5). I went on a trip this weekend (friday - monday) and at a minimum of 4 hours a day I was using my iPhone as a hotspot to answer all my e-mails through Google Apps and browse my web based application to assist my clients along with using JoinMe (webinar) and I barely hit 273mb of data.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry, but this is about the most useless way to determine what usage you would use. Nobody here knows your patterns, and can only make half a$$ed guesses.

Check to see what YOUR usage has been.

Some people seem to use a few hundred meg a month, and never go over it. There is one guy here that does a gig or two a day. Yes, a day.

As said, you need to log into your account and see your history, then try to figure out if you will continue at the same rate, or what.

15. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

+1 for sprint. Finally i switched from verizon to sprint.. i get LTE in my area. so gr8 so far. in 2 days i have used almost 1.5 GB

16. NemesisR6 macrumors newbie

I'll never understand how some people rack up these counts short of watching HD Netflix day in/out.

My usage is very similar to the OP's and I've now had the phone for a full week with less than 200MB used.

Also, it is very easy to find wifi signals nowadays, my phone is connected to wifi for most of the day between work and home.

17. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Hmmm....

I have a feeling I'll use more next month. :D

Attached Files:

18. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Sometimes it seems like these threads become "measuring contests" if you will.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any question on usage -- depends on your usage. If you don't know how much you use then take a look and find out. No one can tell you what's enough for you or not.
    LTE in and of itself does not increase usage. Not sure why so few seem to understand and merely parrot this stuff.

...and many don't understand how you use less then 200MB. Do what works for you. Others will do what works for them. Even with WiFi I use quite a bit of data. Usage varies from person to person -- again, precisely why threads like this are pointless.

20. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

People like you are the reason there is no longer unlimited verizon or att plans.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Because I'm using my unlimited data as I intended to use it when I bought it? It is unlimited, and I don't unnecessarily hog bandwidth. Furthermore, it's faster than my home internet and work internet. I tether with my laptop all the time.

If you had unlimited, what would YOU do?

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ya, you user, you. I bet you drive the car you bought also. Sheesh next thing you will be watching the TVs you have and eating your food, grow up.

23. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Ok, so we have paid for unlimited for years (I've had my plan since Verizon released their first 3G PDA 7 or so years ago), and now we're supposed to stay under a hidden arbitrary amount?

How many other services do you pay for and intentionally underuse? Do you limit how many hours of TV goes through your cable box even though there isn't one? Do you limit how many miles you drive on a non-leased vehicle even though there is no limit set? Who in their right mind pays for a service only to not use it?

I don't go out of my way to overuse data. I use it for my job all day. I use it for travel, for recreation, but I don't sit here saying "How much can I **** Verizon this month? I bet I can hit 150GB!". No, I use what I need, nothing more. Same as I have since I got my first 3G phone with unlimited data.

But hey, if you want to pay for something that you don't use - go for it. However I would recommend going with a tiered plan if you only want to use 2GB/mo. That is why they exist! Those of us who actually use data will keep our unlimited plans.

24. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Do you pay for tethering or do you break the terms of your agreement with your carrier to do so?