Would a Canadian iphone 5 work in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ExcelPremium, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ExcelPremium macrumors member

I ordered a 16GB iPhone 5 off of the online Apple Store(Apple.ca) and it's obviously fully unlocked since I'm buying it at retail price($699+ tax) but I was curious, am I able to use the phone in HK(GSM/3G/LTE) or are Canadian iPhone 5's and HK iPhone 5's have different bands and LTE networks?

2. blairs1 macrumors member

don't think LTE will work based on this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

differing LTE bands... not sure about GSM/3G though.

3. avanpelt, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

avanpelt macrumors 68020

Assuming Hong Kong has GSM service and is not strictly CDMA (which would surprise me if there wasn't GSM service there), you'll definitely be able to use your Canadian iPhone 5 on EDGE and GSM (2G and 3G) networks in Hong Kong. I'm not sure about using it on LTE since I'm not sure which bands and frequencies are used there for LTE.

In general, it seems that the Canadian iPhone 5 is only able to pick up an LTE signal when traveling in North America (Rogers, Telus, Bell in Canada and AT&T in the U.S.) and the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is not available for purchase at retail stores in Canada) is able to pick up an LTE signal on Verizon in the U.S. and when traveling overseas -- at least in Japan.

The Verizon iPhone 5 -- while being able access LTE on some bands used overseas -- cannot pick up an LTE signal in Canada. It can, however, pick up 2G, 3G GSM, and HSPA+ (faux 4G) in Canada.

There is definitely a mix of LTE compatibility based on the handset you choose. I bet the iPhone 5s (or whatever it will be called) will make some strides toward returning Apple to the one handset world phone standard. That will probably be one of the biggest differences between this iPhone and the next one. Pure conjecture on my part, but that's my two cents.

Hope I've been helpful for the 2G/3G side of things and that someone else can address LTE compatibility in Hong Kong for you.

4. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Correct.
    To summarize: the Canadian iPhone is the equivalent of the AT&T one, which means LTE only in North America, but 3G all over the world. You'll still get HSPA+ 3G speeds in Hong Kong, just not 4G LTE. If you want to use the iPhone in Hong Kong permanently, unless you really don't care about LTE, you're best off buying an international (& Verizon) iPhone

5. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your replies!

Guess I'm better off buying an HK/International version than! :(

6. bobhammer macrumors member

bobhammer

Do you guys think i can bring my Canada version iphone5 to Hong Kong Apple Store and exchange for a hong kong version?