would a Dell UP2414Q as 2nd display make things easier for my 60-year-old eyes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by malch, Feb 24, 2015.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    A local Dell reseller is having a sale, and now that I'm getting closer to finishing a project that has lots of photos, text and graphics, I'm thinking of replacing my 10 or 11-year old (maybe even older) Apple Cinema display (1920x1080) with a new Dell Ultra HD (3840x2160) display—

the UltraSharp UP2414Q model

(my computer, by the way, is a 15" Retina MacBook Pro whose graphics card is listed as an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. I mention this just in case someone knows that the Dell display in question won't work with my MBP. I'd appreciate a warning if that's the case).

My question: would it be helpful to me to have that much more screen resolution on my second display? Will it mean I'll be able to see things more precisely? I'm not quite sure what all that extra resolution actually means. If it means that every thing can be that much smaller, then I'm not sure it will be any good for my older set of eyes, that already have me straining sometimes to see, for example, the X and Y numbers in the top left corner of the InDesign menu. On the other hand, if it means I'd see everything more clearly, then it might be worth my while.

Also—is it worth the extra money to get the model with 'premier color'? I realize this may be a very subjective thing, but advice from people who've worked with Premier Color might be very valuable.
    Thanks very much,
    malch

2. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Things on and Ultra HD display will indeed look much sharper and clearer, but they will in turn be much smaller! You can however adjust things like default font size to a larger size but realistically most interface elements will be smaller and more difficult for you to see and click.

If using glasses is a possibility to improve your vision at the computer then you will love the extra resolution, if not, then you may just want to get the largest monitor possible but with a far lower resolution. Look closely at Dell's specs and you will find that they have many choices of physically larger monitors that only have typical resolution. These may be what you need if you vision is a real issue for seeing small details.

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you IHelp.
    Another question, as I try to get this clear in my head—right now if drag a window from my MBP screen to my Cinema Display, things (eg. text) seems to me to stay the same size.
    This, despite the fact that my MBP screen is 2880x1800, and my Cinema Display is 1920x1080.
    If I were to drag a window from my MBP screen to the Dell (3840x2160) display, would text be much sharper, but stay the same size?
    Regards,
    malch

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend the UP2414Q - it was a first generation 4K display, and from what I understand, there were a number of issues with it. The newer 24" P2415Q (or larger 27" P2715Q) is a second gen 4K display, and while there are still a couple minor issues, it's a much better all-around display. That's definitely the route to go on Dell 4Ks at the moment. There's an insanely long thread on them in this very sub-forum.

Regarding 4K resolution - it works just like your rMBP - it uses OS X's HiDPI settings just like your rMBP. The default 4K settings will show the same amount of screen area as a "normal" 24" 1920x1080 display, only it will be twice as sharp because it has twice the pixels in each direction. While you can choose to over-ride the default settings and make everything really tiny, you certainly don't have to (you could do the same thing on your rMBP if you wanted to as well).

I have a couple of the 27" Dell P2715Q displays primarily because the extra sharpness makes it easier on my aging eyes. Personally, it's a night and day difference for me. If you really spend a lot of time in front of the computer, I'd recommend the 27" versions just because it's the same amount of pixels, but it makes everything just a little bit larger on screen compared to the 24" version. Other than size, they're pretty much identical.

5. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Your MacBook gives you effectively 1440x900 at 15.5", about 110dpi. The next closest dpi would be the Thunderbolt Display's native 2560x1440 at 27", about 109dpi.

Running the 3840x2160 Dell but showing an effective 1920x1080 at 24" ends up being larger dots at around 92dpi. But would be far sharper than a screen with native 1920x1080 pixels.

If you wanted a "Retina" display and you're happy with effectively 1920x1080 on the second display, it's a good option. Just push the screen a little further back to compensate for the larger dots.

Incidentally, I'm on my third night with the Dell U2515H running 2560x1440 at 25" giving me about 117.5dpi. It's not "Retina", but I'm loving it so far!

Try this site: http://pxcalc.com/

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote above:
    [[ My question: would it be helpful to me to have that much more screen resolution on my second display? Will it mean I'll be able to see things more precisely? ]]

I'm 65, and my vision isn't what it used to be.

You have to articulate your personal needs a bit more clearly (pun intended).
    Do you need "sharper" text?
    Or... would you be more comfortable with slightly "larger" text?

Sharper text may not be the answer, if your vision isn't able to "resolve" smaller sized text, regardless of the degree of sharpness. This is the case with me -- what I really need is LARGER text.

I'm doing ok with a "mid-resolution" 27" display @ 1920x1080.
    This is the effective resolution of a 24" display, but "blown up" a bit by using larger pixels.

The younger folks with perfect or near-perfect vision will look at one of these screens and complain, "that's GRAINY", but to my older eyes, it looks fine.

7. broadbean macrumors 6502a

OP has a Retina MacBook Pro 15", so check what effective resolutuon he's comfortable with that.

8. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you, everyone, for your advice and recommendations. I'll check out the newer Dells (had no idea the one I was looking at was an older model).
    regards,
    malch