Would a "for sale" 4S be more desirable with iOS6 or iOS7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terzinator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

probably gonna sell the 4S after I get the 5S. Was gonna hold off on updating to iOS7 on the 4S, and let the new owner decide if they wanted to do it.

But really, does it matter? Is there any advantage in not doing it? I suppose if someone wanted to jailbreak it, they'd have better luck with it in iOS6, but maybe that's a tiny portion of the potential buyer pool.

So, you folks getting rid of your 4S in the next week, you updating to 7?

(I also kinda want to experience iOS7 with the new device, so it feels even more, um, new.)

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

3. JFC macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to sell my 5 which still has iOS6 on it. For now I'm not going to upgrade the OS, I'll sell it with iOS6. The one thing that I could think of was it would be appealing to someone who does not like the look of iOS7, and anyone who wanted iOS7 could simply upgrade free. If I upgrade to iOS7 then the people who don't like new new OS will not want it.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'd leave it in 6. I've received a few emails from app developers saying either don't upgrade the iOS or don't launch the app until it's been updated, they're working on it, etc. etc. So leaving it to the new owner to upgrade seems wiser to me.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't think it would matter to 99% of the population, but I would sell with iOS 6 with an option to upgrade to iOS 7 at buyer's request.

6. KaijuRed macrumors regular

4S with iOS 6.1.2 would be worth something as it is currently the only way for untethered jailbreak by evasion.

7. evan3168 macrumors newbie

That's pretty much what my gameplan is going to be. Sell it with iOS6 for those interested in jailbreaking (maybe they'll pay a premium?), but let other potential buyers know that I'm willing to upgrade it to iOS 7 for them before I ship it out.

8. tygrubb macrumors regular

This post is exactly correct. If you've already updated the 4S to anything beyond 6.1.2 then it won't be of any appeal for jailbreak purposes.

9. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Just write "It comes with iOS 6 so you can jailbreak it if you wish, but you can update it to iOS 7 if you want as well!

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

IO6, since you can go forward to IO7 but can't go backwards, but most people wouldn't care.

11. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Definitely leave 6. Updating is a one way street. Someone might want to buy it with an old os, and for anyone that wants ios 7 they can update it simple pimple.

12. KaijuRed macrumors regular

Did a recent search on eBay the night 5c pre-orders were up... iPhone 4S with 6.1.2 firmware were definitely higher than 4s with 6.1.3 :p

My friends seem to have mixed reaction to iOS 7. Half of them hate it, the other half loves it.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's kind of amazing that the OS actually matters. If you're buying an iPhone, you can either easily update it to the latest iOS version or do a five-second Google search to find the latest jailbroken version.