iPad mini Would a Larger iPhone Lessen the Appeal of an iPad mini for You?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by v0lume4, Nov 26, 2013.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

With rumors of a larger iPhone next year (or the coming years), I wonder the impact a larger iPhone could have on the iPad mini appeal. Maybe just negligible, maybe not. I don't necessarily speak for myself, but I feel that a lot of consumers keep wishing for bigger phones but smaller tablets (our answer to the latter being the iPad mini). If an iPhone began to approach 5", do you think that would change your buying decision when tablet-shopping? It'd make me stop and think, at least. Then again, 2 inches is a huge difference from the mini to the iPad Air, so no doubt that same about of difference would apply to a larger iPhone and iPad mini.

Granted, I have never used a 5" iPhone so I can't speak for anybody on this topic.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap this is why I am skipping all ipads this year! I bought the ipad air and return it after a week. And I didnt even think about the ipad rmini due to the price jump.

3. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

No. For me the Ipad me is the ideal size. 1 inch larger and it would no longer fit comfortably in my jacket pocket; one inch smaller and pdfs would no longer be legible in portrait.

On the other hand, an Ipad mini with an internal antenna that could do what a cell phone does (not just make calls over ip) would lessen the appeal of an Iphone for me. :)

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

5 inches is not big enough to make me reconsider wanting a mini. Anything over 5 inches would make me reconsider wanting an iPhone however.

5. nehope macrumors member

I like the size of the iPhone now so wouldn't buy a larger one. Also love the size of the mini and now that it's got a retina screen, I am done!

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. A phone is a phone. A tablet is a tablet. When the phone gets so big it can replace a tablet, it's a phablet. Ask Samsung. Those things don't do either role well.

7. doboy macrumors 68020

Nope. I already have a 5.5" Note II and still purchased the rMini rather than an Air.

8. GoingDark macrumors 6502

To me, tablets and phones have very different use cases.

My situation is also a little bit different than most people here, because I have an Android phone (HTC One) and I don't see myself going back to an iPhone regardless of screen size.

The mini is the perfect size for everything I do in iOS. If I need more horsepower or screen real estate I'll use my MacBook Pro. If I need something quick and at a glance, I'll use my Android phone. The mini fits exactly in between those two.

I have absolutely no desire at all for a 5" or larger phone - in fact, the HTC One (which I love) is already pushing it even at 4.7".

9. TheSwede macrumors regular

That would be the tits!
    I would ditch my iPhone instantly.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Nope. Different devices for different uses. I might be in the minority, but if Apple releases a bigger phone without keeping one in the 4-4.3" area, I'll stick to my 5 forever.

11. mcmul, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

mcmul macrumors 6502

Yes.

From my perspective, the "phone", the "tablet" and the "phablet" are one of the same thing; they just come in different sizes of glass and are limited by Apple's product vision. What you do with the glass depends entirely on your use-case (and the amount of devices you own). I suspect the reason why most people on MacRumours consider the iPad and the iPhone so mutually exclusive is that they presumably have large disposable incomes and can afford to have lots of different gadgets. I know someone who uses an iPad for exclusively streaming news in the kitchen; that's it - a £400 news consumption device.

My idea of the "perfect mobile device" is an iPhone boosted to Galaxy Note size and is available in 128 GB. I can carry it everywhere, store lots of things, the screen is large enough to read lengthy articles or books and it fits in my pocket. I would have no need for an iPad unless I was willing to spend £400 for the privilege of watching Netflix on my sofa or away from home. But the point remains that this "boosted iPhone" would cover almost all of my non-laptop needs. Until then, I will stick with my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini (sadly).

12. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

a Samsung Galaxy Note sized iPhone would mean i would own a single device, at the moment i have a mini and an iPhone.

If they only take the iPhone up to a Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 size then i will keep the mini as a "large" screen device.

What i don't see the need for is the "fuller" size iPad "max", ill move to a laptop or desktop screen at the point the iPad Airs screen is "to small"

Id like apple to roll out a function in Mac OS that allows iOS apps to run in on a Mac Desktop, sometimes it would be handy

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I doubt it. I'm happy with the size of the iPhone and I just received the new iPad Mini w/Retina display and I really like it. I'm not into holding tablet-sized devices up to my ear to speak to someone.

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

No, but it would lessen the appeal of the iPhone.