Would a larger iPhone ruin sales of iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

That's my thought. I wonder if they're reluctant to go larger with an iPhone thinking people will be less likely to buy both devices (iPhone and iPad) if the sizes are getting closer to each other.

By keeping a small iPhone and a much larger iPad mini it creates (to apple lovers) the "need" for both devices?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Negative.

Apple is famous for saying, if we don't cannibalize our products, others will. Perfect example: iPhones taking sales away from iPods?

No. Apple doesn't make a big phone because (1)They don't follow other vendors, Other vendors follow them. (2)Again, Apple is famous saying customers don't know what they need.

Apple will give u a big phone when they are good and ready.

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

A larger screen iPhone would be more expensive than an iPad mini so if customers did only buy the phone, Apple wins anyway.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

5. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Profit margins are more important than the price of the item. If Apple sells a large iPhone for $700 but only profits $100, they'd be losing out.

6. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Yeah, exactly. I was basing my point on the idea that Apple would enjoy the same profit margins in a large screen iPhone as they do on the 5.

7. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I don't see apple going over 5" so they are still quite different in size. I have a galaxy s4 and it hasn't replaced my iPad mini in any way.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Interesting. If apple made an iPhoneHuge, would you get it next time around or stick with SS?

9. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I have the luxury of owning both an s4 and i5. I still use the iPhone as my personal phone. Android keeps getting better but my ideal device would have a jailbroken iOS with a 4.5-4.7" screen. I don't have the largest hands so I would give up 0.3" for easier one handed use. Even the 4.8" s3 felt different enough in terms of reach for me.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Hadn't considered a holding limit. I have fairly huge hands and can get four fingers wrapped around my iPad mini. It's just to big to go out and around with, unwieldy.

Sounds like you want as much screen as is easy to carry. But this is what Samsung does, they make everything and see what sticks. I've got one of their printers because its silly small for a color laser, like move to another room without thinking. Guess this is just the other direction.

11. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I think they might only go up to 5" also, and offer both 4/5" iPhones...personally I like the iPhone 5 4" size, fits nicely in my hand, can one hand it, and fits nicely in my pocket, don't want a bigger phone.

If apple does a larger iPhone, it will be the thinnest on the market, thinner than current iPhones.

edit: forgot to add: so, 5" won't cut into tablet sales...at least, not much. But, if the market for large other brand smart phones is getting bigger, Apple will take their chunk out of that market. It would be a purely business decision.