Would an Airport Express be a good choice for my parents?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GreatMightySymp, Nov 19, 2013.

1. GreatMightySymp macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

Been looking into a router for my parents. Right now it's one Windows computer that would need to be wired and a 4th-gen iPad I gave her after upgrading myself to the Air. Might be another notebook in the future (might get my father a Chromebook possibly as he's somewhat computer illiterate).

My Time Capsule has worked great so far, so I was thinking of suggesting to them the Airport Express since my TC hasn't crashed once so far and they don't use anything that uses an ac-level connection.

Anyone else have experience with the Airport Express and might know if it'd be worth suggesting it to them (ideally it would make things so I wouldn't have to do as much router troubleshooting).

2. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

It would be a great choice for anyone!

I have 1 TC and 2 expresses in my home to avoid passing wires. Works awesomely. The only thing I miss is that I can't see the DHCP client list with the Airport Utility 6.x. You could with 5.6, but that doesn't run anymore on Mavericks.

Depending on the age of the computer involved, you might have to use "WPA/WPA2 Personal" instead of WAP2 only. I had this issue when my sister came to my house with her crappy old PC laptop... Nothing against PC personally, but that thing is old and crappy...

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

That's officially true (it didn't run on Mountain Lion either but was easily worked around by using Pacifist or something to simply install the utility). But you can get it to work on Mavericks--see http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/ for instructions.

I'm glad this works since there is a lot of stuff missing from AirPort Utility 6.x. I hope Apple adds back the missing features, but I'm not counting on it. Their dumbing-down and iOS-ification of desktop apps is quite the shame when it results in loss of power like this.