Would anyone lend me their monitor calibrator? I would pay for shipping both ways.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emt1, Sep 18, 2012.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty poor so I can't afford to buy one outright. Obviously I'd take care of shipping both ways. I live in the US. Please don't bother replying if you're just going to tell me I'm crazy for thinking anyone would trust me with that.

2. PS9 macrumors newbie

The problem with borrowing one is you'll need to re-calibrate after a while. I have a Pantone gretagmacbeth i1 and monthly the software recommends a recalibrate, I normally do it weekly and there's always some difference.

I'd save up a bit and get a used one off eBay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/130737576674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - that's the exact one I bought, $45 total. Downloaded the software for OSX, works fine. Doesn't do the ambient light calculation though which some newer ones do. At the time there were some on eBay (forgot the brand) for $13, guy had a whole ton of them from old stock or something.

If you only had to do it once I'd tell you sure you can borrow mine. But since the calibration will be useless in a month or so it just doesn't make sense.

3. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest checking with folks nearby. If you've got a photography group or something like that locally, someone probably has a calibrator they can lend you. Then you could borrow it every couple months or so and keep up to date without worrying about shipping.

Or, you could go in with some other people on a calibrator and share the cost.

4. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

You should post on your local/closest Craigslist.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Ask members of your local photo clubs. If you are not a member, join them.