Would Apple get the lead back in sells with Galaxy Note iPhone with a killer DAC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnbikerva1, May 29, 2013.

1. mtnbikerva1, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

Meant to say SALES not sells.
    I do not understand why Apple continues to give sales away by refusing to sell a high quality 6 inch or so screen iphone!
    Also apple does not give us the ability to use the phone as a remote as much as Android does.
    Apple does not allow us to block calls for free like Android does.
    I bet Apple would get the lead back they offered different sizes and the top notch DAC. I only record my CD's in AIFF lossless and want to hear them on a good DAC not crap like the iphone 5.
    I do not listen to MP3 or other garbage.
    I am ready and waiting for a great phone to upgrade to but I have the 4s which is way too small. The 4s has a very good DAC in it.
    I and I think a LOT of other people would love to a choice to stay with Apple but, we are not given the choice of a large screen phone other than Samsung, Huawei, HTC and others.
    Also how does Apple gain by not allowing iphone owners to use their phone as they like vs Android? I know some features or uses need to be stopped for safety/virus/bug problems.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Apple still has the lead in sales. The iPhone 5 currently is the best selling smartphone ever.

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

What lead? Samsung has yet to date release sales numbers? Samsung has yet to define what they consider a smartphone. Samsung sells plenty of feature phones( with some budget andriod os).

4. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

You are the 0.0001% of apples total market that only listens to lossless and not mp3s. Good luck there pal.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As mentioned, Apple currently is the leader, if you are only counting a specific handset sold, however Samsung is gaining steam. I think the number of S3 units sold as of a couple of months ago is 40 million, and obviously rising. A number like that isn't nothing.

At this point though, I think it's unrealistic for Apple to compete against Android sales, as a total. A good chunk of androids numbers comes from ultra low end handsets. Apple doesn't really sell anything like that, so it's not an accurate comparison. As for larger screens, that's a hard statistic to follow. Sure, we can say x number of android devices sold last year were above 4 inches in screen size, but that then attributed 100% of that sale to sxreen size alone. Surely that isn't accurate.

As for lossless playback, Apple's ALAC files do the trick. They are just as good as FLAC and will play on your iOS device. You will need to convert your FLAC, buys iTunes will do that for free. A quick tip though, and I wish I had the article, but there is a certain point (far below lossless) of quality past which the human ear cannot discern. It's a proven fact. Those who swear by lossless are living something of a fantasy.

6. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Yup, just wanted to underline that is true.

Here are several articles to back us up.

http://lifehacker.com/5920793/the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment

http://lifehacker.com/5921889/concluding-the-great-mp3-bitrate-experiment

http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/sounds-good-to-me

In this case I would also submit the DAC is also of lesser importance. What you want is to choose some better quality speakers/headphones. I was actually surprised that the earpods that shipped with my iPhone 5 were noticeably better than the old style earbuds that came with my iPhone 4. They still are not as good as my old Etymotic MC-3 nor the excellent Etymotic HF-3 set I bought 3 weeks ago.

At home I have an old set of technics speakers with an FM receiver and amp unit, I hook up to my computer and just stream itunes controlling from my pc or with my remote app.

7. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Please show me a PR from Samsung with a break down of actual sales numbers not shipped.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Apple will never become the top seller because they only produce one phone at a time. The likes of Samsung, HTC, Sony etc produce many models and the Android platform is spread across many manufacturers. Apple sell enough and are an exclusive brand due to a very good product that is priced slightly higher than rivals. This business model has worked because perception of their brand has created desire through clever marketing to support very nice products. Its not all about selling the most phones.

9. lordofthereef, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It was actually shown that Apple also uses "shipped" and not "sold" numbers. As such, any number comparisons made between one device manufacturer to the other are going to be fair game, as they are all reporting the same sort of data. In short, everyone reports the same exact way anymore.

In any case, the SGS3 is a popular device. They are selling. We can hope, wish, and dream this isn't the case all we want, but we would be wrong. A company isn't going to continue shipping more units month after month if they are well stocked (read: not selling) everywhere. That's basic business logic, that applies to Apple as well.

This article states 100 million units sold between the galaxy line, 40 million being the SGS3. Impressive.

10. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

thats simply not true apple does a complete break down on sold units as well as shipped. Again
    A Feature phone is not a smartphone. The way I see it the next iPhone will be that much better because of the competition.

11. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Since when is the iPhone 5's DAC "garbage"? Apple products have some of the best headphone amplifiers and DACs of all the phones. Is this opposite day?

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I really wish iThings had a better dac, but sadly, no hardly anyone cares.

13. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Many people seem to hold the view that the Wolfson DAC chip is far superior to the Cirrus DAC chip used in iOS devices. I find the Wolfson OK, but i strongly prefer the more detailed and less darker sound of the Cirrus.

The iphone always seems to lead in sound comparison tests, so i don't really see what the OP is alluding to.

14. lordofthereef, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It is true. The terminology these companies use is one and the same. They are reporting them the exact same way. Apple has carriers commit to a certain number of phones off the bat. Same goes for Samsung (and plenty of others). The only FOR SURE number sales are those that each company sells themselves. Samsung speaks of numbers shipped versus numbers sold in that very link I posted. It is also simply pointless to assume that Samsung keeps shipping phones month after month if they are not moving them; that makes ZERO business sense.

Also, We aren't talking about feature phones or at least I wasn't. We are talking about SGS3 (and Galaxy line, in general) sales. If you are of the opinion that Android phones are "feature phones", you are certainly entitled to that opinion, however it goes against the market definition of smart phone; I have not seen any marketing that any smartphone running Android is a "feature phone", at least not in the US. I am not going to sit here and argue whether the Galaxy S line of phones are smartphones, that's just silly as the industry has already decided.

15. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

16. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I agree. Competition keeps everyone on their toes.

17. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

6" in a phone? Haha.

This is a classic example of companies trying to "innovate" just by being different. A 6" handheld has more drawbacks than uses. I don't think that there will be a lot of people who want a phone which is the size of an aircraft carrier.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The people discussing sales do. ;)

A phone that sells well means people want it, for some reason. It's not because of price (which is often the argument since android is "cheap") seeing as how it is as expensive as the iPhone it is being compared to. So there must be something else at play.

----------

To be quite honest, I don't see a whole lot of people calming that screen size changes are innovations. It's everything else (mostly software nowadays) that happens to be packaged with these larger screened phones that people seem to like. I personally think it's all fluff (speaking of much of the features added into to Android with the SGS4), but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.