All iPads Would/Could Apple sneak 1gb of RAM into the iPad 2/First Gen Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by herdnerfer, Oct 23, 2013.

1. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Everyone, including me is suprised they are still selling the iPad 2 (especially at $399) without giving it some kind of spec bump. I have heard from iPad 2 owners they are starting to show their age with iOS 7. The main culprit for this is the relatively low amount of RAM (512mb) included with them.

Do you think it would be possible for Apple to bump that up to 1gb without making any announcement or spec changes to notify people of it? I would think Apple would want any product they sell to last at least 2 or 3 iOS generations when bought brand new. This would be the easiest way to extend the lifecycle of both the iPad 2 & the first gen mini without adding any expensive new SoCs or other features that would hurt their profit margins.

What do you think? possible?

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Slim chance, the only reason ( to my logic ) is the 1024 x 768 screen res
    and Apple wanted to make it available for the 9.7" & 7.9" ipads. The reason is because Apple want this "low cost" tablets (ipad 2 & 1st gen mini) to compete with android I assume.

And from manufacturing point of view, both of the ipads share same specification, without the screen of course. And that would be hugely efficient = profit.

3. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Not gonna happen the iPads are designed around the chips and to change this would mean to totally re invent the wheel.

4. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Agreed. Same reason why they haven't swapped out the 30-pin in the iPad 2 to a Lightning port. They're cheap(er) partly because the production process is already in-place. Any redesign whatsoever would invalidate the cost savings for Apple.

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Highly doubtful. Apple has never been generous with ram.