Would frequently taking an MBP in and out of sleep mode be bad for it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Aug 11, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I'm getting a new MBP soon and plan to use it for my AP Art class (portfolio) and note taking at school. I have about 7 classes a day, during most of which I'd like to have my MBP on. After each class however, since I only have about 5 minutes or less before the next one, I'd like to just close the laptop and move it.

My question is, would this be bad for the laptop or damage it in some way? It may sound stupid, but wierd things can be harmful to electronics...

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I do not have (yet) a MBP but I'm pretty sure it is not bad for it. If there is a sleep mode, the notebook is designed for it so you can use it as much as you want. I think the sleep mode is made exactly for your situation so it would be strange if we couldnt use it ;)

Tex

3. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

hey there using sleep mode will run down your battery slightly faster (as it kicks the power in when you wake the comp up) and slightly decrease the life of your lcd (not drastically) to combat the lcd usage keep your brightness down.

in normal use you shouldnt see a problem by putting it to sleep!

Kris

4. iLLucionist macrumors regular

On what base do you believe that using sleep mode will decrease (no matter to what extend) the life of the lcd of the mbp? Just curious...

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yes I agree. Why would having the MBP sleep decrease LDC life. This statement makes absolutely no sense, because the LCD is off when the computer is on. The only thing that is having power supplied to itself is the RAM and sleep board.

Don

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

in response:

when the laptop is asleep the lcd is powered down - when you wake the laptop power is sent through the inverter and wakes the screen.

everytime the lcd is turned on (power up/sleep) the power surge going to it is higher that if it is just left on, same principle of turning a pc tower on and off more than regularly.

the lcd being put into sleep often will result in more power going to the lcd and reduce the lifetime.

have a look on the apple.com/support forum for more info on lcd care.

7. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

in response:

when the laptop is asleep the lcd is powered down - when you wake the laptop power is sent through the inverter and wakes the screen.

everytime the lcd is turned on (power up/sleep) the power surge going to it is higher that if it is just left on, same principle of turning a pc tower on and off more than regularly.

the more you USE the screen (on + off) the more wear it has and the shorter the lifespan.

the lcd being put into sleep often will result in more power going to the lcd and reduce the lifetime.

have a look on the apple.com/support forum for more info on lcd care.

8. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

So, how long would the LCD last instead?

I ask because the LCD is REALLY important to me since I need it for art (digital painting), and I can't have the colors going all crappy on me. =P
    Would reducing the lighting setting to the lowest brightness right before closing it make the LCD last longer?
    Also, what about the GPU? Would frequent naps put any stress on the GPU? (I don't want it dying on me because of a fried Nvidia 8600 :p)

Thanks! =D

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Frequent head stops aren't good for the hard drive. Start/stops are what put the most stress on an HDD, which is perhaps why laptop HDDs seem to wear out much more quickly than desktop drives, being moved all the time.

On the other hand, it's also not a good idea to carry the laptop around while it's turned out, as that's not good for the hard drive either.

10. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

Make sure you wait until the sleep light starts to blink before moving the computer. I've read (here I think?) that you can damage the HD as the disc is still spinning and writing info to memory before it starts to blink.
    I'd be surprised if sleeping hurt the LCD. I sleep/wake mine everyday 4-6 /day so I hope not!

11. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Btw, what do you mean by "sleep mode will run down your battery slightly faster"? Do you mean my power will go down quicker, or that my battery's full charge capacity will go down quicker?

12. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

sleep mode doesnt run the battery down quicker its when you wake the computer from it repeateadly (in the moving about from class) - the capacity will go down in time anyway - try to run the computer from full charge (100%) to the point when it tells you you have to charge it (about 5%) that will keep the battery capacity very high! - i have a powerbook 12" and the battery still gives me 3.2 hours with wifi and webbrowsing.

a stock screen will last for around 5 years, with heavy use it will be around 3 (so i think that you will be fine!) the gpu will not stress when you sleep and wake - the stresses on that will come from hardcore gfx usage (3d modelling/gaming etc)

Kris

13. Fabiano macrumors regular

MBP LCD screens have LED backlight, that dont need a inverter. (only exeption being the MBP 17" with standard resolution). And even for these with inverter, I think its not that big issue at all. Laptops are designed to do just that, go to sleep/wake up several times a day should be aceptable. I do it all the time since I can remember, I got my second laptop in years and never had any trouble with that.

just be sure that when you put it to sleep, wait until the white LED starts to blink, before moving your MBP.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

actually the whole big deal about nvidia's GPU defect is the problem with the GPU failing after so many heat cycles (cooling and heating from GPU turning on/off). Not heat from gaming.