Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Would getting hot oil into your eye when cleaning a cooker wearing contact lenses melt the contact lens on your eye?

A cooker like this:

963_2_large_HENNY-PENNY-PRESSURE-FRYER-2.jpg

EDIT:

And the oil temperature would be around 250 - 300 degree fahrenheit.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well I assume this has happened to you.....does your contact still work?...after you washed your eyes and cleaned the lens that is?

If not, I am curious why you are worrying about this. If truly worried, wear some safety goggles lol

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
In my chemistry classes it is absolutely forbidden to wear contacts.

There is the risk of a chemical melting the contact, and fusing it with the cornea.

Now I know contacts are made of hydrogel, which is mostly water, but the polymer in there could still melt because of the hot oil.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I would wear glasses when working with hot oil, eyes are worth a lot to me.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
[...]
There is the risk of a chemical melting the contact, and fusing it with the cornea.

[...].

I've never heard of that; it's always been my understanding that a contact could hold the chemical in your eye.

All the same....WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES. It's that simple.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Peanut oil would fuse the contact lens to the eye. Other types would just **** up your eye. HTH.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I've never heard of that; it's always been my understanding that a contact could hold the chemical in your eye.

All the same....WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES. It's that simple.

Are you serious? The teachers does not want us to wear contacts, but lets us go around without goggles? :rolleyes:

Of course we wear goggles! But there is still a chance of liquid splashing everywhere, and dripping in the eye. Better safe than sorry.

EDIT: Goggles do not protect about gases ;)

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
I used to work at chick-fil-a, and the pressue cooker you posted gets alot hotter than that under pressure...I know because I opened one too fast one time and have my entire face a nice, thin layer of burn with oil vapors.

Which is almost as bad as the time someone I was working with put way too much oil in the open fryer version of that cooker and I tried to fish something out of the bottom of it with the strainer and stuck my entire hand in the fryer.

Fryers are not toys. They have a purpose. A delicious purpose

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I used to work at chick-fil-a, and the pressue cooker you posted gets alot hotter than that under pressure...I know because I opened one too fast one time and have my entire face a nice, thin layer of burn with oil vapors.

Which is almost as bad as the time someone I was working with put way too much oil in the open fryer version of that cooker and I tried to fish something out of the bottom of it with the strainer and stuck my entire hand in the fryer.

Fryers are not toys. They have a purpose. A delicious purpose

Cooking temp is 375 cool down is 295.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Dude...

I think you win the random thread starter award of the year... I swear every topic that I see and say to myself "WTF," you are the originator. You should be proud. I would be.

On topic I would think that the contacts would actually protect you in this situation. Try it out and report back?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Dude...

I think you win the random thread starter award of the year... I swear every topic that I see and say to myself "WTF," you are the originator. You should be proud. I would be.

On topic I would think that the contacts would actually protect you in this situation. Try it out and report back?

Well thank you. :D

But I dont want to test it out and loose my sight, not worth it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say the melting contacts are the least of your worries if this occurred. I suspect the hot burning oil will in affect blind you.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Knowing someone who really screwed up their eye by working with furniture stripping solvents without wearing eye protection, I cant stress enough the importance of wearing eye protection when doing anything that involves splashing of high temperature liquids, other liquids that are dangerous, or working with materials that chip and fragment (i.e. working with wood/metal).

Heck...I even wear glasses when hiking in thick brush. I was once hiking alone in the backcountry when I got hit in the face by brush and ended up severely scratching my corneas. Fortunately I was smart enough to hike out right than and there and go to a hospital. It was probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced and I was basically almost blind for the better part of a week.

vorbb

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I have gotten oil at about 375 degrees directly in to my eye while wearing contacts and using an open fryer.

No long term adverse effects.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
What a thread...

Around hot boiling liquids, I would wear glasses -- never contacts.

I have gotten oil at about 375 degrees directly in to my eye while wearing contacts and using an open fryer.

No long term adverse effects.
I would recommend that others not try this.

Also, you didn't mention how much. That in itself will determine a lot of things. A simple drop is much different than a splash if you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.