Would I be able to swap my 32GB reserve for a 16GB at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj1, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dj1 macrumors newbie

2. don pianta macrumors regular

3. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

You mean you have a 32 gig on reserve, and you want a 16 gig instead?

I'd say... get there early. I don't think you'd have a problem, as 32 gigs are more popular than the 16's.

4. dj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I plan on getting there first thing in the am. Maybe I could find somebody waiting in line who wants to do the swap with me.

5. Hexxeh macrumors member

Hoping to swap the other way round, I have a reservation for a 16GB because I was too late to get one for the 32GB. Manchester Arndale, here.

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I called my local apple store to see if they received white would they allow people who reserved for black to switch. The saleslady then told me that HER stores policy is "you get exactly what you reserved, if you want something different you have to get in the walk in line". Could differ by store, but your best bet is to call.

7. tocheeba macrumors member

GOOD. That's the way it should work. White wasn't available for preorder, so I didn't reserve a black one in hopes of exchanging or returning it for a white. So if i wait outside my Apple store for hours before they open, and they have limited white, I'd be pissed if reserve people are swapping them in their line. Get to the back of the line.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'd gladly swap one of my two 16GB reserves for a 32GB one. Problem is where's your reservation? I'm going to be at the Menlo Park Mall, Edison, NJ.

My second iPhone just shipped, so I'll have up to two reservations I'm going to give away when I get to the Apple store Thursday night.

9. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Exactly, and that's what I told the girl. I told her that I would've reserved a black one and just switched for white if it was available. And she agreed and said I don't know how appreciated it is that I'm actually waiting for the one I want, and no buying and then arguing to return it later on. But again, she said this isn't an apple policy, it differs from store to store. I'm happy my store is being fair though.

10. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I want to do the same thing so Im hoping that they dont have a problem. I figure worst case Ill just holler at one of the walkins and ask if they are planning to get a 32GB to please ask for a 16GB then have the Apple reps swap them :)

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I suggest this strategy... Go in about 15-30 minutes before closing of the store. Chances are many reserves will go unused or abandoned, to which 1. the lines may have died down, 2. barring any unforeseen circumstances, your 16GB should still be there, 3. you'll have a better chance to talk to a manager who may be more lenient and/or tired and easy to accommodate.

JoJoCal19's idea is great, too!