Would I be dumb to buy a 15" Retina MacBook Pro right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evasquez7, Jan 26, 2013.

  1. evasquez7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2012
    #1
    Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.
     
  2. liVec macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    #2
    If you want one, buy one, especially when there are sales around...
    Waiting for the next gen might never end, as they will upgrade it again next year, and again the year after that. Ever since I've purchased my rMBP, I have been happy with it and I think it will probably last me 5 years.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    The new chipsets are not due out until April and presumably the new MBPs May/June. I say if you want/need one now, get one.
     
  4. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #4
    I would wait. In fact I am waiting. While its true that there is always a upgrade around the corner, and playing that waiting game can be endless. But the current rMBP is the first of this model, and they are sure to iron out some of the kinks on the 2nd generation, just as they did with all of their products (IPad, iPhone) From what I've been reading, although there are many happy customers, it seems for some the GPU isn't quite ready for the power hungry retina display, and the Haswell chip might help with that. Who knows what other screws they will tighten, but you can bet that there will be issues addressed. You can also figure that they will include a bigger SSD. For the $2600 we are spending for a base model, incl Ram and tax, 256 gigs seems kinda skimpy
     
  5. dblissmn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2002
    #5
    I'm likely to buy shortly as I have a time-limited budget at work. But were I not under the constraint I'd probably wait. The main upcoming difference is the next generation integrated chipset will use slightly less power and deliver a lot more in terms of graphics without having to resort to the dedicated graphics chip. All the latest DirectX and OpenGL standards will be supported, in hardware, by the dedicated chipset. So you'll see better battery life in practice -- and, perhaps this will finally be the point at which Apple removes the arbitrary limitation on 15-inch Macbook Pros against integrated graphics driving external monitors. In that case you'd have a cooler-running computer in desktop mode as well. I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

    The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

    Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.
     
  6. Ploki macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #7
    I got one week ago. Honestly, it's a screaming machine. I don't care whether they update or not, i'm happy.
     
  7. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #8

    Kinda what I said only much more intelligently and more informed. I don't see them upping the Ram either. Why would they max out the Ram on the base model? Not Apple like. Sure would like a custom option for one Ethernet port and one Thunderbolt port.
     
  8. evasquez7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2012
    #9
    You just convinced me to wait. I absolutely do not need one right now so it's no big deal anyways. Thanks for you're input!
     
  9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2005
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #10
    If you need one, get one.

    If you don't need one urgently and can wait, then wait.

    It's really as simple as that.
     
  10. intothepolis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2012
    Location:
    Pandora
    #11
    I wouldn't wait. I'm not one to keep waiting for the next big thing. If it suits my needs and some I'd buy it now. The RMBP is pretty future proof anyway.
     
  11. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

    mpayne2k

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #12
    I decided not to wait. Got an open box steal at Best Buy on a base 15" retina and paid $1650 out the door. No way I'd get that deal if I wait for the next refresh. Enjoying now instead of wait and see game.
     
  12. skysailing macrumors regular

    skysailing

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    #13
    I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
    I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

    I still freaking hate them.
     
  13. Cripps macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011
    #14
    Can you expain what was wrong?
     
  14. moxxey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #15
    Depends how you view 'soon'. I can't see new rev.2 rMBPs being released until after WWDC - so June or July at the earliest. That's still half a year away.

    If you can get a current rMBP discounted, I would. I've seen some good prices out there recently.
     
  15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #16
    Well not really, since it can't be upgraded in any way... But I guess if you max everything out in the built-to-order shop it'd be getting there :)
     
  16. skysailing macrumors regular

    skysailing

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    #17
    The hard drive is TERRIBLE, the processor is screwed up, the bottom has been through hell, it was scratched on the ports, and I had to send it back to Best Buy so they can fix an issue with the screen not turning on. After 2 weeks it was sent back to me "fixed".

    The screen still would not turn on, meaning they didn't even turn it on.
     
  17. utekineir macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    #18
    bad idea at full retail, yes

    bad idea discounted, depends on your needs/wants/resources
     
  18. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    #19
    proof? pics of receipt or GTFO


    The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
    I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
     
  19. Arnezie macrumors 65816

    Arnezie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    #20
    Tomorrow is promised to no one , live today like there is no tomorrow and buy it now!:D
     
  20. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #21
    Yes.

    Unless you absolutely need a machine right now.
     
  21. that1guyy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    #22
    I am waiting for Haswell. Buying a revision 1 product is stupid anyway. The original retina has a higher chance of having problems. Just look at this forum: fan problems, image retention, etc.

    Let those owners be our beta testers and the Haswell mbps will probably much less buggy.
     
  22. kjs862 macrumors 65816

    kjs862

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    #23
    I would wait. Lots of talking about graphics problems.
     
  23. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #24
    Adding upgradeable RAM would be working backwards, that is the last thing apple will do on the 2nd Gen rMBP
     
  24. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #25
    The whole brouhaha about the Retina not being upgradable in regards to Ram baffles me. Just max t out at purchase at $200 and be done with it. Never think about it again. I would do that long before I would consider paying a extra $600 to go from 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz

    ----------


    I've been saying that for months. Didn't buy the first gen iPhone or iPad. Certainly wouldn't spend $2600 on a first gen laptop. But I've been playing with them at the Apple Store. Awesome. Can't wait for June, or July.
     

Share This Page