Would I be okay with 16gb if I'm not loading music and movies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whackintosh, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Don't want to pay for what I wont need, but at the same time I partially worry about being stuck with a ceiling. Crazy huh? I'm sure I'll load a ton of apps and some games through. Have those with 16gb that weren't using their phones as Ipods found this sized storage to be sufficient?

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I use mine as an iPod and still have a little under 4GB free on my 16GB iPhone 3G.

I wouldn't worry about running out of space. I am using under 500MB on applications.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you're not loading a crapload of stuff from iTunes, you're easily fine with 16GB. I only know of two apps larger than 100MB -- Myst and Texas Hold 'Em. I think there are others out there, especially stuff like the nautical navigation apps, but I can't imagine you filling 16GB with just apps and their data.

4. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

My and my wife got white 16Gb 3Gs on opening day last year. This year we both got 16GBwhite 3GS's... why?

Because We both have iPods and i have 4 gbs of my music library on my iPhone just to have something with me at all times and i have the dark knight on my iphone as well (which i have never watched all the way through on the iphone) and about 1000 pics. All that and i still had 4.6GBs left on the phone. So i saw NO need to buy the 32GB other than the geek brag rights which i am past as i near closer to 30.

So if you have no intentions of using the iphone as an ipod for music or movies than 16GB is more than enough.

oh and my wife still has about 13GBs available on hers!

5. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

6. jaycebeasley macrumors newbie

jaycebeasley

It's more than enough if you're just using it for apps. I only use mine for apps, podcasts and video, with an average of 2 GB free at all times.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Oh dude, don't get me started in the you-know-what contest! I think I have about 6GB free, but that's only because I just synced 3 movies and one TV show season. If Apple made a 2TB iPhone, I'd fill that sucker. Alas, I'm thrilled with the upgrade from 8GB. I can finally put songs on there that I may not listen to that day, but perhaps might in a few. Who wants to leave their house without every George Carlin album ever made?

8. JohnFa macrumors regular

You're probably going to be using MAX 2-3GB of apps. That would leave you with 12 GB of storage, so, yes, 16GB is more than enough. 8GB is more than enough.

9. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

With the original 8 GB I have over 300 songs on it several apps, including one for spreadsheet with .xls files on the iPhone and I still have 5.4 GB left. 16 GB will be plenty unless you're putting a lot of movies on it. Movies are what eat up the storage space.

10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I got the 16GB just because I had the 16GB 3G and I only used like 3GB of it, EVER. You really only need the 32GB if you want to put a ton of movies and music, otherwise there is no need... until they let you use it as a mass storage device.

11. t-oliveira macrumors newbie

t-oliveira

Personally i am with my iPod Touch 2G 16GB , but if you're going to load alot of full-length movies it will be about 1.2GB each, since youre not, its alright ;)

12. nezff macrumors regular

I have a ipod touch 8gb with about 470 songs and still have 4 gb left