Would I be out of line to ask for a new laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1finite, Jul 26, 2010.

1. 1finite macrumors member

I got my 13" MBP brand new at the beginning of May. Near the beginning of July I began to see tons of graphics artifacts, so I brought it to the genius bar and they replaced my logic board.

A few days ago it began to stutter. I don't know how to explain it except that using the mouse and opening/closing apps was like watching a video game at 10 fps. I restarted and although it took a while to boot, everything worked fine.

Today I was watching a movie without A/C power, and it just shut down, like the battery was pulled or something. I plugged it in, figuring I had run out of battery life, restarted, and it booted up fine. I logged in and saw that I had 50% capacity left and then a few minutes later the same thing happened.

Now when I restart, it plays half of that gong apple boot noise, then shuts down. I took out the HDD to test if that was causing it, but no dice. I don't have any aftermarket RAM in there, but I pulled each stick and replaced them individually, but still no luck. I can't get past the start noise before if just quits.

My question: would I be out of line to just ask for a replacement MBP when I go in to the nearby Apple certified repair place? Apple refunds them for AppleCare repairs, right? I'm not driving 1.5hrs again to the Genius Bar and going without my computer for a week only to have it be even more messed up than it was before I got it "fixed".

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Apple only gives replacements if a major computer component fails three times. So I would expect them to have a similar policy. However, it never hurts to ask and explain your case for it.

3. molala macrumors 6502a

You do get 90 days phone support, so I would just call technical support if I were you (to save you from driving). You would still have to send your computer in for repair but (here in the UK at least) they will arrange a pick up.

About getting a replacement, usually it is at least 3 faults before they replace the entire product. You will probably just get another logic board replacement. But as previous poster said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

4. 1finite thread starter macrumors member

Okay well one more time and I get a new one :p

Plus I haven't been rough with this computer at all. It's my baby, if its not on my desk or in my lap, its in an Incase hardshell, a neoprene sleeve, and my laptop bag. (yes, all three... I'm paranoid)

PLUS I forgot another problem! When I got it back from the genius bar and this happened whenever I pressed the power button! I fixed it by resetting the PRAM, but still...

[​IMG]

5. 1finite thread starter macrumors member

My actual purchase date was 4/23... no more phone support for me :(