Would i be saving a lot on the energy bill with my macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by waynechriss, Nov 13, 2009.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I've used a Compaq desktop for many years and my dad always complains our electric bill is sky high (i blame central air conditioning, its hot here in Florida) and i can understand that cuz i'm on the desk top a lot (download video, social networking, hw, etc). So i got a white macbook a couple of months ago and my brother got a macbook pro and we use it as much as we did with the desktop.

My question is has any of you who owns a mac computer see yourselves saving a lot of money off the electric bill with regular use cuz the computers are Energy star efficient.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No.

You're correct to blame the AC and any large HDTV's you might have.

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

hahah what??? first of all what kind of monitor did you even use with your pc? crt? desktops in general will obviously draw more power than a laptop. they have bigger physical hard drives to power, higher capacity psu, etc etc.

i hope you're not saying that you actually went out to buy a macbook to 'save' on hydro seeing as macbooks are way more expensive than your typical laptop in general. you will definitely not see any return on your hydro in relation to the money spent on a macbook.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Not really. The AC is the biggest culprit. During the summer our electric bill was running ~$300/month. Now that it has cooled off, our October bill was $120. Everything else stayed the same: HDTV, couple of Macs, swimming pool, cooking.