Would I get £100 for a locked 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBoobsPro, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I am thinking of upgrading my 8GB 2G. If I keep it locked what kind of price should I be looking to sell it at? Considering eBay iphones dont seem to be selling and I don't want to use ebay/craigslist.

Basically if I could cover the cost of a new 3GS it would suit me fine but I'm guessing no one would be stupid enough to buy it locked if the 3GS is available at the same price right?

I am unsure of how to unlock the 2G to begin with and dont even know if unlocking and jail breaking mean the same thing. The line is very blurry when it comes to unlocking and/or jailbreaking.

What would be a good price for a locked 2G and an unlocked 2G? And please dont refer me to eBay as I have no faith in it whatsoever.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

They should fetch pretty much the same price as the unlocking process can be done on any version of 2.0 and anyone could do it. You may as well have a go, the worst you'll need to do is a restore. I'd say 200 would be a more fair price for a good condition 2g as they are still very much sought after for the higher build quality than the newer models.

3. hippojay macrumors newbie

Check out the Cex website for prices they pay to buy from you. However, this is probably only useful if you have a store nearby (as I personally wouldn't trust sending a phone in the post)..

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Computer Exchange usually puts a decent price on mobiles, locked or unlocked. www.cex.co.uk

It says they buy A grade iPhones for £210, B grade for £177 and C grade for £147.

They also seem to understand that unlocking is a free process because the prices are the same for O2 and unlocked iPhones. I've used them before for games and stuff (bought a Japanese dreamcast from the Rathbone Street store back in the day) and they are really good guys.

Not sold anything through their site though. But I could trade my scratched backed iPhone for a G1 and have £3 change...

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks guys. I thought I was going to get flamed for asking but as I said its not really all that clear regarding the process and what they are really going for. I'll check out cex.

Cheers

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I paid £100 for a mint condition locked 2G in January and as my brother put it "(I) pretty much stole it" Obviously the 3G S is out now, I'd still expect about £200 to be a fair price.

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Oh sorry, I forgot that bit...

<s>YOU SUCK!</s>

It was perfectly reasonable to ask, mate.

8. matttye macrumors 601

I got £160 for my unlocked 2G with all standard accessories. You should easily get £100 for yours.

9. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

CEX looks good (even if the website displays crap in Safari) :p I have dialogue with a guy regarding my iphone and my G5. I may just dump all my old stuff on them. Cinema display anyone? :D

I've never heard of CEX before but they seem to offer reasonable prices for stuff and have convenient store locations too. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

10. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

so what condition is the phone in and does it come with all the normal accessories that was in the box? eg: charger usb cable dock and plug and cloth and stuff?

11. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres some cosmetic damage around the silent switch which makes the switch slightly stiff. 2 small but deepish gashes and the expected scuffs from a 2 year old phone.

I have everything that came with it (even the bag) as well as the dock. It would probably 'just' make it into Grade B at CEX.co.uk. :)

12. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

perhaps u could post pictures of the phone just for people so see, and perhaps u may have an offer from someone on here?

13. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I don't think we are allowed to do that other than in the marketplace forum which is only accessible when you become a contributor.

14. hippojay macrumors newbie

Let us know how you get on, as I've yet to take mine into the Sheffield branch yet. Would be good to know how straight forward it was..

15. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I just sold a 2G 8GB that doesn't even read sim cards and is locked on the activate via iTunes screen for $150 USD.

So £100 is maybe a little low.

16. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

We just sold both of our 8GB 2G iPhones on eBay for $199 each. They were in fantastic shape and not unlocked.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Unlocked phones are worth more on ebay. I always bid on the locked phones to get them cheaper and unlock it myself. Not everyone can or is willing to do it themselves of fear of messing it up.