Would I Get a Repair?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxMike, Jun 15, 2012.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

So, I've been using an iPhone for about a year now (since April 2011). In August of last year I had that phone replaced since the sleep button broke. Now, it's 10 months later and I have a spot in every picture I take, not sure if it's on the outside of the lens on the back of the phone or somewhere else. Would I be able to get a replacement or am I gonna be screwed? I'm curious since it can be claimed as physical damage (although it was never dropped on it's backside and I don't see anything that would cause the spot), and even though this phone is 10 months old, Apple's site says I am out of warranty. Is this wrong since the phone itself isn't a year old yet? Thanks for any help, since I don't want to have to pay for a replacement (would rather get a 4S), but I don't want to keep waiting for the next generation with a phone that has a spot in every picture I take :(

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

No one would be able to give you a definitive answer here. Take it to the Apple store and hope for the best. You may get lucky and receive a free replacement.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The warranty doesn't start over when you get a replacement. It's always one year from the purchase of your phone or +30 days after getting a replacement, whichever is longer.

Otherwise, people would simply save their problems until the day before the warranty expires, get a replacement, and enjoy another year of free service.

As for your picture problem, it's difficult to say anything without actually seeing the problem or knowing more details.

Your best bet, as already stated, is to simply bring it into an Apple store and hope for the best.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Warranty is based on when the original phone was bought, not when you received the replacement, so if you buy a phone and get it replaced after 6 months, you still only have another 6 months warranty remaining. Makes sense because if they offered a 12 month warranty on replacements too you'd get people trying to scam the system, making excuses to get a free replacement every time their warranty is about to expire. (EDIT: exactly what cyks said!)

Since your iPhone is definitely out of warranty, you'll have to contact Apple or visit an Apple Store and ask. You may get a nice Genius that will replace it for free - worst case scenario is you'll be charged for the repair.

5. catherne macrumors newbie

catherne

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You had your iPhone "repaired" then. Apple just replaces for the repair job. So your iPhone is over a year old and out of warranty.