Would i still have the $30/unlimited plan if i SIM-Card switched?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Jun 2, 2010.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I know a lot of people in this forum that switched to a dumbphone cause
    1. They sold their iPhone to get the money
    2. People who have not yet upgraded to the iPhone
    3. iPhone broke/lost

So in my situation, i sold my iPhone 3G and switched to a dumbphone for this month [May] only. I read the article but it only states existing iPhone customers can keep their $30/unlimited plan, and how new iPhone customers would have to decide on the 2 new data plans

So would that mean existing AT&T customers can still have the $30/unlimited plan if they decide to upgrade to the new iPhone??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't have a smartphone there's no reason to keep the dataplan and AT&T will not force you to keep it. Call them to remove it.

3. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

thats not the point, i already removed the data plan when i switched to my dumbphone

i am asking, when i upgrade to the new iPhone, will I [existing AT&T customers] have the option to keep the $30/unlimited plan

4. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Yes, if you have the unlimited plan, you can keep it.

5. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I think if you canceled your iphone data plan, and now want to get a new one, you probably will have to get one of the new plans.

I think the existing unlimited plan is only for people who actually have an iphone plan currently, not simply any ATT customer or a customer who at one point in the past had an iphone plan.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

So they're doing away with unlimited plans? That really sucks.

7. bstpierre macrumors 6502

His question is regarding the fact that he no longer has the data plan. He wants to know if he can re-add the original unlimited plan when he gets his new iPhone since he had it in the past.

Of course, I have no clue but if you want to keep the $30 data plan I would recommend not dropping it when you get rid of your old phone.

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Doesn't AT&T make you choose current plans when you upgrade and sign a new contract? Wouldn't that mean that if you upgrade the $30 unlimited plan wouldn't be one that you could choose?

9. weezite macrumors regular

What I'm wondering is what they mean about "existing customers"? Does that mean any customer who currently owns an iPhone (2G, 3G, 3Gs) or only customers who will still be under contract for another year because they bought the 3Gs last year? Like for example, I have the 3G and plan on upgrading to the new iPhone whenever it comes out. Since I'm signing a new contract, will I be able to keep my Unlimited plan or will I be subject to AT&T's new plans?

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I think I understand the OP's question:

I am in the same situation, I sold my 3Gs and now using an iPhone 2G (original iPhone) with the $20 a month edge data plan. However, when the new iPhone comes out I want the old grandfathered $30 a month data plan. However, I plan to do this before the June 7th:
    1) Take my SIM card out of my iPhone 2G/dumb phone
    2) Put it into a friend's iPhone 3G
    3) Use the phone for a couple minutes until the network IDs that I am using an iPhone 3G
    4) Login to my online account for AT&T
    5) Under options/add ons, change from the iPhone 2G data plan to the iPhone 3G data plan.
    5) Remove my SIM from my the 3G iPhone and put it back into the iPhone 2G or dumbphone and wait for the new iPhone announcement.

Hopefully this might work? Anyone tried this already?

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is similar to what I did the day before the 3G launch. This is what I was going to suggest the OP do.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hard to tell... better call up AT&T for answers.

13. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

i am but i will probably wont get a legit answer until a day or two since when i call for help, the people that i'm talking to don't know much on what i'm talking about

thing is that i dont know anybody with an iPhone

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Then I'd say you have 2 options....buy a cheap one..even something w/ a broken screen...off CL and activate it OR buy a 3Gs before June 7th and exchange it later.

15. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

CRAP...this part concerns me: