Would it be better to buy rMBP and 40-50" TV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ApplesAOranges, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

I´ve been wanting to update my iMac, but since it looks like it´s never arriving I´m actually thinking of getting the rMBP with 40-50" TV to connect with.

Does anyone have this kinda setup and does it work well? Is there much hassles with cables, connectivity, sound or the different resolutions?

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have a rMBP, a 50" tv and I am waiting for a new iMac, I can honestly say I have never been tempted to connect my rMBP to my TV.
    You couldn't use it as a desktop, it is just too big. Why not look at a Thunderbolt display?

3. janderson0719 macrumors 6502

janderson0719

What is your reason sole reason for connecting your rMBP to a HDTV??

4. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

I´ve been also thinking about TB Display + rMBP, but it´s quite small and even more expensive than TV. If it´s an iMac, then I could live with the 27", ´cause it would be one simple elegant package. But of course I would like a bigger iMac than 27".

But rMBP 15" is just too small for my home use. I like big screens, especially watching movies from one. Of course buying an rMBP would useful also when traveling.

5. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I think you're missing the whole point of Thunderbolt Display.

1. Using 40-50 inch HDTV as a desktop monitor seems pointless. The resolution is low to take any advantage of big space and if you'll have it on the table and sit in front of it your neck is gonna hurt a lot.
    2. Why would you want such a huge screen with low (HDTV) resolution? You'll fit much less stuff on it than on your rMBP screen...

The Thunderbolt display is great at 27". It has higher resolution than any HDTV which means you can fit a lot of windows on it. Anything bigger than 30" on your desk is stupid idea, honestly.

My 0.02:
    1. For desktop (like working, internet, playing games etc) the thunderbolt display is great.
    2. large HDTV is great for movies, playing games... but that's about it. Why don't you buy large HDTV and 3rd gen Apple TV and use Airplay mirroring to wirelessly beam stuff onto HDTV? You can watch movies on the large screen or play games with some wireless bluetooth gamepad. No stupid wires and if you need to be productive, 15" screen with high-res will work much better.

More and more as I read about people getting rMBP I am being amazed. Some people buy this really pricey laptop for movies/internet/games and that doesn't make much sense (not at least now).
    If you'd get MBP 15" you could have some cash saved and get the HDTV and Apple TV for it... and I think it'd be enough for you (also the computer is actually the same as rMBP specs wise).

EDIT: re-read your post so I see you havent made the purchase yet, sorry. the end rant is aimed toward general group.

6. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

Buying rMBP + HDTV would allow me to take rMBP with me in my travels. I have also a 11" MBA which I use for travelling, but I´m so sick of the lack of CPU, it´s so slow!

I do some gaming, movies, where the HDTV would be fantastic, much better than the 27" display.

Of course I could use the 15" for casual stuff, surfing, but I also do some light video/photo editing and for that the 27" would be way better!

So it´s kinda of a dilemma! :confused:

7. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

Also that doesn´t help that the rMBP just looks so fancy!!! :p And the iMac could come no earlier than next year, can´t wait that long.

8. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I still think that having huge HDTV isn't great idea, it's low res, not really good if you want to do any serious photography or anything. I still think you'd be better off with Thunderbolt display or if you want something a bit cheaper get Dell Ultrasharp or any other prosumer/entry level pro Eizo displays.

9. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is that I don´t think rMBP + TB Display is a good combo. I´d rather have then 27" iMac. No point really getting a TB display.

For me it´s either:

New (unreleased) 27" iMac

or

rMBP + 40-50" HDTV

I think the TV looks just great, few of my friends have these combos and I wouldn´t be doing editing with it, just watching movies and gaming. I would have to use the 15" retina display for other stuff, which kinda sucks also. Probably I should just get:

rMBP + HDTV + TB Display

Oooooooooooor... I could just wait for the never to be released iMac... sigh!

10. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Well if you have the cash then go ahead.

iMac for home computer + rMBP for mobile computing sounds nice. I guess if you can have the HDTV in living room (especially combined with ATV) it must be a great match.

Wish I could justify spending so much on electronics :)

11. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I don´t, that´s the problem. :(

So is there a big hassle with rMBP + HDTV cables, connectivity, sound or the different resolutions?

12. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

Just wait a few more weeks for an iMac. I don't understand what you are looking to gain by pairing a MacBook with a television. If you just want to watch movies and game on a big screen, buy an Xbox or PS3.

13. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I have written here numerously that you should use Apple TV with HDTV. No cables, no hassle, beams sound too and resolution is set automatically when the mirroring is turned on.

I still don't see the point of directly attaching laptop to HDTV or using it for productivity. Just wait for iMac, you already have a laptop for portability.

14. botchok5 macrumors newbie

Wouldn't your 40-50" HDTV still only show 1920x1080 resolution? Man that would look a little pixelated. I hook mine up on my 32", and 1920x1080 is not pretty on TV's.