iPhone XS Would it be immoral if I upgraded to the iPhone XS from my X and returned if it’s not much better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I actually am REALLY tempted to get a gold iPhone XS. I feel like I might enjoy the speakers and camera and new color and also the new color Apple cases like the green one.

But what I’m afraid I might end up returning it if I don’t find it much better for me.

Not sure if it would be ok to try it out or not

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes I know but given I’m not certain I’ll keep it would it be immoral to get one just to try it out?

Of course I would like to keep it and sell my iPhone X.

I’m just afraid I’ll end up returning it and I’d feel kind of bad.

I don’t like to return things.

4. i-Liam macrumors member

i-Liam

Don’t feel bad. I’m sure Apple know that some people use the 14 day return period to try out a product.

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

The 14-day return policy is designed EXACTLY for these cases.

It wouldn't be immoral if you're taking advantage of a policy by using it for its intended purpose.

And in any case it's you vs. a $750 billion dollar corporation that's going to profit 45%+ with that phone alone. Hard to feel bad for them

6. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

don't feel bad its the purpose of the 14 day no questions asked return policy.

if they didn't like it they would charge a restocking fee or similar on returns not related to defects but they don't.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Apple has a 14-day return period. You'd be using that to determine if their latest product is better than the existing product you have. I think you'd be using it exactly as it's intended.

8. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

That is part of why Apple offers the 14 return so I don’t really see a problem, but I have to say if you are thinking about this and you have questions about it, don’t put yourself in a situation to do something you will regret even if there isn’t a reason for you to.

9. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

Don’t feel bad but be prepared to pay the restocking fee.

10. King_SC macrumors newbie

Honestly, I would keep the X if I were you. Unless you have some extra money and want to treat yourself

11. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Nah, that is what it is designed for. Try it out and if it doesn't fit your needs then you return it. I did the same last year with the X and ended up returning it and keeping my 7 (which I'm still keeping now). It would be a different story if you were to get a gray one for 13 days, then a white one for 13 days, then a gold one for 13 days, then a 256gb gray one for 13 days, then a ... well you get the point.

12. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

apple doesn't do restocking fee's

13. newellj macrumors 604

Not at all immoral. If you're legitimately curious and can only tell by trying it, I think that's OK under Apple's return policy, which essentially invites you to do exactly this.

By the way, although I'm not sure I'd spring for the Xs if I had an X, Apple is still offering those crazy trade-in prices that will take a lot of the pain out of purchase and avoid issues with eBay buyers claiming you cheated them. You don't have to trade the old phone in when you buy the new phone, either - you can wait until you have decided to keep (or return) the new phone.

14. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Now only $722 billion. See what you did? :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    Apple got too much money out of me last year (Mac Mini, AND an iPad, AND a watch). So upgrading my X to an Xs is not the best use of my money. The eSIM would be nice (I have a plan on both a Verizon MVNO and ATT Prepaid), but I just keep the backup plan on my 7+. But not enough to upgrade for. If I wanted to move to T-Mobile, then an upgrade would be nice, but the Xr "may" be good enough.

The sad thing is that my Mini 4 was acting weird, so I bought the 10.5" pro. Then after a full reset and setup as new, the problem went away. So the only hardware purchase I plan to make this year is possibly a battery replacement.

15. Relentless Power, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think ‘Immoral’ is the appropriate phrase, immoral would be if you were trying to abuse AppleCare by smashing the device intentionally for the sake of having it replaced, that’s what Immoral is. What you’re doing, is taking advantage of a 14 day return policy, which is a no questions asked by Apple in doing so.

16. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. The X is a great phone, and the XS is as well.

As to the OP's question, it is not unethical to do what Apple basically wants you to do.

17. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

18. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Do you think apple loses sleep over the dead iPhones out there in landfill? How about used up lithium batteries in the trash. Doubt it and you shouldn’t either.
    Guilty lol
    No restocking fee I tested two xr’s lol in December and January.

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Actually, Apple recycles devices and batteries. I’m sure the process still generates waste, but they certainly don’t just chuck them in a landfill.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I was speaking about other countries. Having travelled in developing world with iPhones they do not have recycling programs in developing nations. Displays, iPhone parts, plastic wrapping, batteries, are going to be present in the world for eons.

21. VMMan macrumors 6502a

OP sounds like a high character person in even wondering about this.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Right, but not really relevant in this case since I believe the OP is in the US dealing directly with an Apple Store.

23. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Doesn’t the OP already have the XS Max AND the Xʀ? Sure why not collect ‘em all!

24. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Ignore me - there’s a poster called ThatiPhoneKid who I’m mixing the OP with, they have very similar posting styles!

25. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you! That makes me feel really good.

I just feel like Apple provides a return policy as a priviledge to the customer and I only want to use it if I absolutely must. If I can avoid it that’s better because I know they probably lose money and I wouldn’t want that.

If I absolutely knew I was upgrading I wouldn’t think twice. Like if I had my old 6S and was like this is the year, I would walk in and just get it.

The only other time I would definitely return or exchange is if there was a problem like a defect or something that was really bothering me or affected the device.