Would it be stupid to buy iPhone 5 if I already have 3 iOS devices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sensamic, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

Im really happy with my iPhone 4, except for some minor issues, but most of them can be solved by jailbreak tweaks. I already have an iPod Touch 32GB (2nd gen), iPad 16GB WIFI and the iPhone 4, so recently I realized it would be kind of stupid of me to buy yet another iOS device (iPhone 5 when its released).

I love my combo iPhone 4 + iPad 1. Im the kind of guy used to change phone every year. Its like one of my biggest hobbies. I love smartphones and all they can do. Each year new ones come out with better specs: better camera, bigger screen, more ram, more cpu, etc. Its also kind of an addiction.

I was planning on buying the iPhone 5, since I have been very satisfied with my iPhone 4 all this year long. It will be a very good phone, with specs that are almost certain: 8 megapixel camera, 1080p video recording, A5, 1GB RAM... Still, seeing how my iPhone 4 is still very very fast for my needs and having so many apps and games to play with, Im beginning to think its not a REAL necessity for me to buy the next iPhone, even less if it would be my fourth iOS device.

I think its kind of stupid to have four iOS devices at home, all with the same OS. So thats why I was thinking of trying Android, but Im not sure either, since it seems to have poor apps and very few good games.

So Im starting to think I will stay with my iPhone 4 another year until iPhone 6 comes or maybe a really powerful Android. The problem is I suck with waiting...

What do you guys think? Is it wise to spend even more money on a fourth iOS device? I dint buy iPad 2 because my iPad 1 is still powerful enough for most of my needs, except for the RAM, but it would be stupid to spent another 500 euros on iPad 2 just for 512MB RAM, so in this case theres no problem waiting.

So: keep iPhone 4, buy iPhone 5 or try something new like Android? What would you guys do? I would love to try Android but it doesnt seem as polished as iOS and I would regret spending 500 euros on a device that does not satisfy me.

Thanks!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I don't think you're buying an additional iOS device, but replacing an old one. Upgrades are almost always worth it from Apple.

Secondly, Android? How dare you, sir?

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I read through your story and I'm just gonna answer the title of your thread.

It would only be stupid if YOU think it's stupid. Get what you want to get.

So many people come in here and want others to either make their decisions for them or justify the decisions they want to make.

Personally I think if you want to get something, get it, if you think you can wait, then wait. I have 2 iPhone 3g's, 2 iPhone 4's, and an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch. The 4's were replacements of the 3g's, the 3g's were replacements of Palm Treo's. So in my case, I just replaced what was going out of date and got something I wanted.

I get questions a lot regarding my iPad 2 like "What do you need it for?" "What does it do that your iPhone can't?" and I just reply with a very honest answer "I wanted one! I don't care if you think it's a big iPod, or why I would get it if I didn't have a need for it, it's my money and I'll buy one if I want one"

So you have multiple iOS devices... and? Get whatever you want to get. Personally I AM looking for an Android device myself but more for development purposes.

So technically I have 6 iOS devices, and I'm not really worried about it. I use my other 2 3g's as iPod's and my kids also play games on them.

Like JG Wentworth, it's your money.

4. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

I know that if I were to buy the iPhone 5 I would be VERY VERY happy, but I just got that feeling the other day: 4 iOS devices?

Its like having four dogs which are of the same kind :D:D:D Maybe it would make sense if you love that kind of dog. I love iOS, but Im not used to sell my old stuff.

I think I can keep my iPhone 4 till next year without any problems. I wanted to know if there was anyone feeling this way too.

I was even thinking of buying the new macbook air, but its the same case. I already have an imac and a mac mini. I actually bought the iPad to do some of the work that the macbook air would do, like web browsing and watching videos and stuff. Then I realized I dont need the macbook air either :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Stupid? Not if you can afford it. Crazy like the rest of us? Maybe. :)

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It's all about being in contract. If you can love the iPhone 4 I say wait for the contract to be up so you are elligible for iPhone 2012.

7. Genocide macrumors member

If you're already very satisfied with your iPhone 4 I see no reason why you should buy an iPhone 5. Unless a major update comes with the release that has a significant impact on the quality, functionality, and capabilities of the phone you should not have to buy it.

You seem to be somewhat of an impulse buyer and constantly upgrading your phone every year shows a lack of appreciation for your possessions. Trust me, you're not alone here but I believe a bit of restraint is required.

Then again that's only my opinion and feel free to buy whatever you want.

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

To me? Switching to Android would just be an expensive experiment. If you already have an iphone and an ipad you've got IOS apps. Switching platforms would be expensive.

If it were me? I'd dump the Ipod touch.:)

fwiw, I bought the Air. I sold my mbp. Now I use the Air and the iphone, and the ipad feels ignored. I'm probably going to sell it next.

9. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I care very little what others think about my purchase decisions because if I want something and can afford it then i'm going to buy it.

Like you guys Tech is an addiction to me, although I prefer to call it a hobby, so spending the money on a new iphone for me is satisfying a need for something I enjoy.

I personally will wait for 2 reasons: iOS5 will make my iPhone4 a new phone again and can't think of what I will need out of a new iPhone based on all the rumors of what the iPhone 5/4s will have, and 2nd my budgeting will not allow for a new iPhone until the spring of next year which means I may wait for the next-next iphone.

I say if you want it and it makes you happy then go for it.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

According to Apple, no, you need to buy one of everything. :cool:

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you're going to keep all 4, then yes, that's kinda dumb (unless there are others in your household that can use it...there are 5 iOS devices in my house for 4 people...4 iPhones and 1 iPad)

however, if you sell your iPhone 4 (or iPhone 4 and iPod), then it will make sense to get the iPhone 5 I think

of course, if you WANT the iPhone 5, and can comfortably afford it, then there's no reason not to get it imo.

12. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Why would you keep the iPhone 4 if you bought the iPhone 5?

FWIW, I would sell the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch for the iPhone 5.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, it seems to me the problem is not the buying of new devices but rather the failure to get rid of the old ones.

This should be a TV ad for Craigslist. He's the 'before' guy.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

To each their own i guess.

Personally, i just have my iPhone and MacBook Pro, and i rarely use my iPad 2. I'm always on either my iPhone or Mac, so i might end up selling my iPad because i just don't use it enough for what it's worth.

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

When I had an iPhone I upgraded every year. Then when the first iPad came out I got that but sold it because I found myself using the iPhone more. Personally I only need one device for each mobile OS but everyone is different.

16. 305rob305 macrumors member

If u have a decent amount of money in your bank then go ahead and buy it. That's what money is for...to use it because when u die u won't take it with u. Now, if u live paycheck to paycheck, then u can't afford it

17. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I wont be buying the iphone 5 unless it really is a big upgrade. I read somewhere apple might be using new battery technology called liquid metal soon. If it so happens they implement it in the iphone 5 then yes ill be getting it because supposedly itll have very long battery life. If not, then I expect the new iphone to have a dual core a5 chip and 1gb ram with 8mp camera. Not that big of an upgrade.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think it's dumb to keep all of them. I would upgrade to iPhone 5 but sell the iPhone 4 and iPod touch.

19. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Im not used to sell my old stuff because they give so little money. I tried to sell once on eBay and it turned out to be a scam. I reported it to eBay and got my money back.

Theres also a place on my town where you can sell your old stuff, but they give so much less. I always though its better to keep the old device than to sell it for very little.

I want a nice camera, and thats one of the main reasons I like to change phone every year. I take a lot of pictures and dont want to carry an additional camera on me all the time.

I like iOS, but since I already have 3 iOS devices it seems not necessary to buy yet another one.

I also want the new macbook air, but I feel that if I bought it then I would start using less my 27 imac, which Im in love with :D

I think Ill wait for iPhone 5 and see if its a big improvement, but its very probable that Ill stay with the iPhone 4 until end of the year or next year.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sell on the Macrumors marketplace. I've had a great experience there. Plus, you avoid all those ebay fees. You just need 6 more posts to gain access there;

21. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

I personal would sell the ipod since the iphone has one already built in

22. flipster macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the iPhone 4S or 5.

It's not going to be 4G, the design will most likely stay the same until next year. Why do you need it then? All it's going to do is open your apps .03 seconds faster..... We arent getting flash either so... Unless you want it for 1080p video recording (get a real camera) then dont get it. I see no point of upgrading until we can get a REAL speed bump (4G LTE)

23. Centient macrumors 6502

I tried Android and did not find it to be as polished as iOS. Maybe the next Android OS revision, Ice Cream Sandwich, will be, but I don't think it will be leagues better than iOS or anything. Glad I tried an Android, but it made me appreciate the iPhone all the more.

I just don't think an iPhone 5 is going to be a significant upgrade. Of course we'll know more in the coming months as manufacturers start producing the parts, but if you can wait a year you'll have a phone with even better hardware that will probably be 4G capable. That is when I'd pull the trigger.

24. flipster macrumors 6502a

Lol.

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I own 3 functional iPhones and a few that are just laying around for parts, as well as a few iPods. If something makes you happy then buy it. Nothing stupid about that!